How to Install Bars for Washcloth and Magazines in Niches

kendog2June 11, 2012

We would like to install a built-in magazine niche next the toilet in our bathroom. I thought that a regular tile niche with a bar or two across the front would work. We would also like to install a bar across a niche in the shower to hold a washcloth. Does anyone know how to put in such a bar or what material to use? The trim in our house is satin nickel. However, to keep within our budget, our shower fixtures will be chrome.

Our thought is to use a hole saw to drill holes in the tile before it is installed on the inside walls of the niche and then insert some kind of steel rod to hold the magazines and for hanging the washcloth in the shower. Would this work? If so, what material should we use to cover the raw edge and seal around the rod where it enters the tile? Does anyone know of a better method?

Thank you in advance for any advice. Photos would also be much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kendog2

Still hoping for some advice as we need to tile our niches soon. I have been unable to find any instructions or photos of bars installed inside a niche. Maybe this can't be done?

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 11:50AM
dab07

You could buy some chrome tubing, the kind used to feed water to faucets, and cut it to the length you need. Would the rod be supported solely by the thickness of the holes in the tile? I think it would be strong enough that way, it won't be holding much weight. I'm thinking you could mortar in one of the tiles with the hole, say on the left side. Put the rod into the hole, then a flange over it to cover the raw hole. Then slide the flange for the opposite side on, facing inward, then the other tile with hole. Mortar up the right side of the recess and carefully nudge it into position with the rod already installed. Does that make sense? I'm thinking you should cut the rod a tiny bit shorter than the untiled opening. So if the opening is 14 1/2" wide, and the tiles 1/4" thick, cut the rod to 14 3/8" long. You could experiment with dowels first to find the best length. You want it to be just shorter enough to be able to slide into position, but not so short that it can fall out of the holes.

If you don't want to use a flange, cut the hole nice and snug to the size of the rod and use silicone caulk around the rod once it's in place.

If you walk up and down the aisles of a Home Depot with an idea in your mind of what you're looking for, I bet you'll find a few options. Sometimes they appear in unexpected departments, so take a good look. But plumbing is probably your best bet.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 4:04PM
pricklypearcactus

You could also consider installing a simple style of towel bar against the back of the niche or the top even (hanging down).

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 4:07PM
kendog2

Thank you Egganddart49 and Pricklypearcactus for your ideas. I will consider both of those options.

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
Shower door for neo-angle
If you have a neo-angle shower where the tiled walls...
cataan
Polished vs Unpolished tile for bath
We are redoing our master bath with a grey 12x24 porcelain...
btnik
Replacing The Hideous Blue Bathroom
I started removing the tile from the tub surround....
christina222_gw
Vote Now on Color Plan 1, 2, or 3!
I have been planning the bathroom remodel for two years...
nancyinmich
Sponsored Products
Kartell | Tiramisu Step Ladder
$410.00 | YLighting
Hudson Reed Chrome Curved Heated Towel Warmer 59 x 23 5/8
Hudson Reed
Pittsburgh Steelers Mickey Mouse Throw & Pillow Set
$21.99 | zulily
Princess Martini Glass with Silver Crystals
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Pool Aluminum Pub Table in Silver
$149.00 | LexMod
Oval 8-foot Navy Blue Microfiber and Memory Foam Bean Bag
Overstock.com
Sample-Loft Horizon Smokey Taupe Frosted 2x16 Tile 1/2 Piece Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Justice Design Group CNDL-8774 - Dakota 4 Light Straight - Bar Bath Bar - Cylind
$380.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™