"Talling" up my vanity

musicteacherJune 24, 2013

I have found new bathroom cabinets too expensive so we are planning to just replace the countertop/sinks, but I want to make it taller. Would it look weird if I somehow built up the vanity and disguised it with molding just under the countertop?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

"Old" vanity height was 32". New is the same as your kitchen counters. 36" to the top of the counter. Yes, 4" of molding would look odd. However, if you uninstall the vanity and cut off the toekick and replace that with some metal legs (think Ikea) to get to the 36", that could work well and make what's there look very current in style. Painting everything a unifying color would help to blend the old and new. Or you could use some curvy legs and overlays if that's more your style.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 12:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
likewhatyoudo

At our last house we wanted to update our bathrooms by getting new granite counter tops, hardware, back splash but not new vanity cabinets. We had oak vanities and added a oak strip to the top to the desired height and painted/gel stained it all to match and other than the seam where the trim board met the existing cabinets it was not noticeable. Looked more updated to be taller. I think we made ours at finished height to the top of granite 35 inches.

So to answer your question yes it can be done and does not look strange. I am pretty sure no one noticed the seam except me. Adding trim board might make the change more noticeable. Amazing what paint and stain can camouflage! Good luck with your project. .

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 4:38PM
More Discussions
Should I be concerned about the lippage on my new tile job?
At first glance my porcelain tile job in my bathroom...
susanelewis
Kohler Archer Undermount Sink and Vanity Depth
Has anyone used a Kohler Archer undermount sink in...
Jill Wood
Did anyone buy a Venetian dual system tub from Costco?
I just came across this tub, looks good on paper. It...
abekker
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
New Kohler Levity glass shower doors...
Has anyone installed these yet? It's a higher end look...
blondelle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™