Blue Star side clearance

stuvwxyz99May 5, 2012

The installation instructions for a Blue Star range states there must be 6 inches of side clearance between the range and any side wall. I have a side wall and can barely make 2 inches. If the side wall has tile (marble) can this instruction be ignored? Will if affect the warranty?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mistman

The instructions call for 6" to 'a flammable surface'. The 6" distance has a notation that says "to flammable surface or bottom of hood". I think if you tile it or make it otherwise non-flammable you'll be fine.

Bookmark   May 5, 2012 at 10:56PM
mojavean

The six inch clearance allows for instances where you have large cooking vessels overhanging the side of the range. The heat and flames can duct from underneath the pan up around the sides. The bowls and grates are about 11.25 inches wide on the Bluestar but you may have a skillet/stock pot/wok wider than that. I have a 16" wok, for instance, and it would probably be touching the wall in your configuration.

We don't have marble in our kitchen so I cannot speak about how it performs one way or the other, other than I know it is not considered "flammable" ordinarily. But I would not want flames coming up around the sides of a large pan being ducted right into it, either. Concerns would be discoloration or cracking? Perhaps someone with more experience with marble in the kitchen can chime in with more information on that.

You can always mount a sheet of stainless in that area, rather like a backsplash, to protect the wall. If it were me, I'd probably plan on using the other side of the range for the big pots and pans.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 11:45AM
stuvwxyz99

The wall is to the right side of the range. I don't stir fry at the moment, but might start. I think the advice to do this on the left side makes sense. 12" is the widest pan we have right now.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 3:51PM
More Discussions
Install Question for Subzero Undercounter UC24 BG/S Beverage Center
We're looking to install a Subzero UC24 BG/S Undercounter...
pbx2
Cabinet front dishwashers
We are putting in two cabinet-front dishwashers in...
mwinfield
gas oven ignitor help
I recently picked up a great amana self clean gas oven,...
billhiggs
Seeking Bosch Benchmark Feedback
I know there have been a few posts regarding the new...
nadianyc
Wolf porcelain chipping on new ovens
Argggggg!!!! New wolf E series ovens, purchased and...
jackson2348
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™