Is my 24' DW opening too large for a Bosch or Miele?

library_girlMay 22, 2012

Originally I was going to purchase a Bosch 800 series stainless steel dishwasher. Cabinets were planned according to those specs - the required cutout width is 24". The DW width is 23 9/16". That implies that there will be 7/16" gap to be split on each side of the dishwasher.

I found a good deal on a Miele Diamante Plus dishwasher. Its width is also 23 9/16" (same as Bosch), but it calls for required cutout width of 23 5/8" (smaller than Bosch).

Does it make sense that 2 dishwashers of the same physical width would require cutouts that differ by 3/8"?

Anyone willing to post pictures of their Bosch or Miele "gaps"

Does my worrying about 3/8" gap mean I've lost my mind?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fauguy

I have that Diamante Plus installed in a 24" cutout and it looks fine with the stainless door. But if I was using a panel ready Miele and put wood cabinet on it, then the gap would be more noticeable.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 8:36PM
tyguy

Library girl: you have NOTHING to worry about. Either the bosch or miele will look fine. A 7/16 gap divided by two is only aprox 3/16 on each side which is nothing at all to fret, in fact its quite good to have that small amount of wiggle room. The units will come with a flexible rubber seal that will completly hide the gaps.

Is it ss door or panel ready? If its a panel ready dishwasher, the panel could actually be made to to fit the opening instead of the dw door width so it would look perfect.

Don't worry, be happy! :)

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 7:35AM
tyguy

Library girl: you have NOTHING to worry about. Either the bosch or miele will look fine. A 7/16 gap divided by two is only aprox 3/16 on each side which is nothing at all to fret, in fact its quite good to have that small amount of wiggle room. The units will come with a flexible rubber seal that will completly hide the gaps.

Is it ss door or panel ready? If its a panel ready dishwasher, the panel could actually be made to to fit the opening instead of the dw door width so it would look perfect.

Don't worry, be happy! :)

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 6:33AM
tyguy

Oops...that was a smartphone dumb moment. Sorry for the double post.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 7:20AM
coco4444

I have exactly at 24" opening... here is my Bosch (before raising it to proper height):

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 6:21PM
rococogurl

Miele cut out for a snug fit and the minimum noise is slightly under 24". Consult the spec sheet if you're going with Miele. A strip can be installed to cover.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 8:21PM
rob from nj

23 5/8" is actually 1/16" larger than 23 9/16".

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 10:12PM
library_girl

@fauguy - mine is stainless steel so hopefully will be fine - you don't have any issues with noise?
@Tyguy - thanks for the double reassurance!! :)
@Co-Co - thanks for the pic - If mine looks as good as yours, I'll be thrilled
@rococogurl - too late for the spec sheet, but it's good to know about the strip if noise is an issue.
@robj - maybe I should have been more explicit - what I was trying to express was that Miele's 23 5/8" cutout was smaller than Bosch's 24" cutout , since we were discussing cutouts... I had already said that the 2 dishwashers are the same size.
I guess that Miele is only going to give installers 1/16" wiggle room vs. Bosch's 3/8" wiggle room.

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 11:38AM
fauguy

I have no issues with noise with the 24" opening, though some have stated over the years there is slightly less sound when using the recommended 23 5/8" opening. The difference I've noticed is that a fully loaded cycle is quieter than if there's only a few items in there. That is because with less items, you can hear more of the water-jets sound.

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 5:58PM
More Discussions
Need a second oven/micro combo for island installation/under counter
We are getting ready to remodel our kitchen and were...
ksdeclue
Finish Detergent
Has anyone tried the new Finish Quantum Max 12X pacs?...
sparky823
capital precision mcr304 vs. wolf gr304?
Anyone have thoughts on these two? Also looked at GE...
mweyandt
Wolf is increasing the BTUs on front burners
When I called the Wolf showroom in Atlanta, I was told...
charon70
Miele 643g dishwasher
I bought a house that has this dishwasher. I do not...
cbsdesign
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™