Reglazing a Bathtub

Dr_BobJune 5, 2013

Hello all,
Getting ready to undergo a bathtub reglazing since the previous reglazing by the previous owner is starting to come up. I purchased a kit from Home Depot and have all the tools I believe I need. I was just wanting some pointers, rough time frame of when I can apply the caulk after, and any other things you can think of. Hoping this wont be a huge waste of time but the GF wants to do it before selling her condo and has been quoted $800 for it to be done in the St Louis area. Im handy enough to complete the job, but always looking for any assistance I can gather.

Thanks all,
Rob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Save your money. It might last minutes or hours, but no way will it even last a year unless it's simply not used.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 12:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ctlady_gw

We had an old tub reglazed in our last house (the tub was probably ca 1920 or so?) and I have to say, although the job was a bear (even with a professional firm doing it), it did last a good 15 years before we saw any finish blemishes at all. And that was with daily use. However, I cannot even begin to imagine how one could do a remotely reasonable job as a DIY. The company that did it had to do some fairy exhaustive prep work, then the tub was sprayed (about 6 or 7 times). In the end, it was beautiful -- but it was a lengthy process that I wouldn't dream of undertaking as an individual. We are about to have a 1959-era tub reglazed in our current home, and the estimates we've gotten are in the $600-$800 range, so I don't think the estimate is excessive. Get it done professionally (after checking the firm's references CAREFULLY -- there are good reglazers, and bad reglazers.) Be sure you talk to references. But absolutely no way, in my opinion, that you can do it properly yourself.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
Hot Water Heater Size Based on Shower Fixtures
Hi, I don't post a lot, but I am eternally grateful...
Vanessafox
Classic looking offset vanity top?
I'm planning out a bathroom remodel for a 1920s Craftsman...
resseger
Tub surround - replace or embrace?
We're remodeling our MB on a tight $5k. DIY'ing everything...
alidanae
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
Cultured Marble vs onyx collection vs solid surface shower pan
1st off, I am a long time lurker in these forums and...
dmsohio
Sponsored Products
71" Kaya Resin Freestanding Tub
Signature Hardware
49" Abbey Copper Slipper Clawfoot Soaking Tub
Signature Hardware
Aquatic Bathtubs Morice 6 ft. Reversible Drain Soaking Tub in White 727149759322
Home Depot
Glass by Nameeks PP000A0 67 in. Eden Soaking Tub with Drain - GLASS PR000A0-2
Hayneedle
Aquatica Bathtubs AquaStone 5.9 ft. Center Drain Oval Bathtub in White
Home Depot
68" Rowley Bateau Cast Iron Skirted Tub
Signature Hardware
Mustee Durastone 11 Single Basin Drop In Utility Sink - 11
$71.00 | Hayneedle
14-inch Antiqued Metal Tubs (Set of 3)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for: