Reglazing a Bathtub

Dr_BobJune 5, 2013

Hello all,
Getting ready to undergo a bathtub reglazing since the previous reglazing by the previous owner is starting to come up. I purchased a kit from Home Depot and have all the tools I believe I need. I was just wanting some pointers, rough time frame of when I can apply the caulk after, and any other things you can think of. Hoping this wont be a huge waste of time but the GF wants to do it before selling her condo and has been quoted $800 for it to be done in the St Louis area. Im handy enough to complete the job, but always looking for any assistance I can gather.

Thanks all,
Rob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Save your money. It might last minutes or hours, but no way will it even last a year unless it's simply not used.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 12:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ctlady_gw

We had an old tub reglazed in our last house (the tub was probably ca 1920 or so?) and I have to say, although the job was a bear (even with a professional firm doing it), it did last a good 15 years before we saw any finish blemishes at all. And that was with daily use. However, I cannot even begin to imagine how one could do a remotely reasonable job as a DIY. The company that did it had to do some fairy exhaustive prep work, then the tub was sprayed (about 6 or 7 times). In the end, it was beautiful -- but it was a lengthy process that I wouldn't dream of undertaking as an individual. We are about to have a 1959-era tub reglazed in our current home, and the estimates we've gotten are in the $600-$800 range, so I don't think the estimate is excessive. Get it done professionally (after checking the firm's references CAREFULLY -- there are good reglazers, and bad reglazers.) Be sure you talk to references. But absolutely no way, in my opinion, that you can do it properly yourself.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
extra tile decisions
It turns out I have more grey crackle tile than I needed...
edwina 1330
Show me pictures of your tile 'rug'
We'd like to do this and are looking for design ideas....
kate38
Ledges, niches and shelves
In our first remodel, we did niches (don't like them),...
sjhockeyfan325
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
AHMIowa_NJ
Has anyone seen an interior door handle like this in the States?
Sorry for the link but I couldn't find an image to...
ceezeecz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™