window over bathtub and in shower

robinleJune 24, 2013

We are remodeling two bathrooms. It will be a rental. It is a 1960's ranch style. We have made two bathrooms from one and took space from the bedroom closet to make the master bathroom. The guest bathroom has a window over the bathtub. The bathtub can be used also as a shower. The master bathroom shower, ended up being where a window is. The walls with the windows will be tiled.
I need advice and would be thankful for input. Should we put glass blocks in the windows? This would give privacy and let light in. If we use glass blocks should we keep the window area large and fill in the whole area with glass blocks or should we just have two rows of glass blocks?The windows are old and have to be replaced, so should we just replace them? If you have any ideas please let me know.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geoffrey_b

Check out this glass block window manufacturer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hy_lite Glass Block

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 3:20PM
albryant

We had this problem with our bath remodel last year. Our house was also built in the 60's and has windows in both showers that were rotting. We had to do a complete, to-the-studs remodel to fix the rotting studs which resulted from moisture getting in from this window.

Our solution was a vinyl window with obscure privacy glass with grilles between the panes to be as consistent as possible with the look of the other windows from the outside. It's also safety glass for code purposes.

I've attached the frightening before photo - you can see we had to have blinds in the shower! I'll post the after photo in the next post.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 11:12AM
albryant

Here is the after photo showing the replacement window with the privacy glass. We've done many experiments with someone standing in the backyard while another showers to make sure you can't see more than you'd like, and this solution has been great.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 11:14AM
weedyacres

We had a window in our 1920 house that was probably originally over a clawfoot tub without a shower. We replaced it with one that was shorter (low edge is now about shoulder height). We'll either put an obscuring film over it or hang a stained glass window, though it's now high enough that privacy isn't an issue.

We've got vinyl siding on the exterior, so it wasn't a big deal to close it up.

Before/not-yet-after photos:

1 Like    Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 12:17PM
More Discussions
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
The towel ring and the towel bar
The last bit for my bathroom arrived today, a hand...
Linelle
Help me finish designing bathroom
Need a little help and to ask if you think I'm heading...
fourhappy
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
wall mounted sink with hidden pipes?
Hi all, Would like a small-ish wall mounted sink, but...
randyelipson
Sponsored Products
Wood 2-inch English Walnut Curtain Rings (Set of 7)
Overstock.com
Wrighton 24-Inch Tiffany Window Panel
Overstock.com
Picnic Time Tents Haven Portable Sun and Wind Shelter in Blue 111-00-139-000-0
Home Depot
King Lace Dust Skirt
$665.00 | Horchow
Peach Lake Como Shower Curtain
$34.99 | zulily
Cotton Roman Shades - Red 60 Inch, Width - 60 Inches
$45.00 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™