Does the shelf in my niche look like a creme sandwich?

jennydecoratesJune 6, 2014

Hi all, my tile and grout guy just left. The shelf in niche reminds me of a creme cookie sandwich. Perhaps because he sandwiched two bullnose pieces together. I have never seen this look before. Is this right?!?!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Most people would have picked a piece of their granite or quartz for the shelves and for the shower curb. When you pick tile for that, you gotta have grout lines.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 10:39AM
jadie88

It took me a minute to see what you were talking about...I thought you meant the back tiling. So it doesn't jump out too much, if that helps! But yes, it looks just like a nice cream sandwich once you point it out. :)

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 10:43AM
cat_mom

We used a single piece of marble tile for all of our niche shelves (tops, bottoms, and sides as well). Your sandwiched bullnose tiles don't look terrible, just different from what I've seen.

I will say, that I am very impressed with the tile work surrounding and inside your niche--totally flush, lined up beautifully. Your tile guy appears to do very nice work! :)

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 12:43PM
flying_c

I doubt I would've noticed if I hadn't been specifically looking. BTW, what is the tile inside the niche. Looks like it has a botanical motif?

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 12:47PM
Linelle

I just had my niche tiled yesterday. I don't have a shelf in the middle, just a basic 12" x 12". Mine is edged with 1/4 round and it couldn't be matched up exactly with the surrounding field tile. But it looks fine. In reality, you'll have a head full of shampoo and just be happy to keep the soap out of your eyes.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 12:53PM
kas4

We chose to use a thick piece of glass for the niche shelf to avoid the creme sandwich look.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 3:11PM
tim45z10

You can buy stain for the grout after it is dry. I would not be overly concerned about it though.

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 3:11PM
MizLizzie

I would not in a million years note that had you not pointed it out. I think it looks lovely and carefully done.

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 4:55PM
Babka NorCal 9b

....it only looks like that since you pointed it out. Anyone else would be looking at what you put on the shelf. How many people are viewing your shower niche on a daily basis? Don't mess with the grout, unless you want to paint it pink.... I hope you will smile every time you walk in there and think of a cream sandwich. IT makes that shower YOURS.

I have one grout line in my shower that is larger than the others. No one in the whole world will see it and say gee, that line is wider than the others...

Relax and I hope you will enjoy your new shower, w/o getting hungry whenever you shower!

-Babka

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 1:56AM
More Discussions
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
checkman123
WWYD - Mosaic tile accents?
Starting to try to figure out some of the decor details...
numbersjunkie
Advice on how high to hang mirror?
My BR remodel is in the finishing touches stage, I...
shappy22
suggestions for double vanity between 2 walls
I'm looking for suggestions for a (or pictures of your)...
A McK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™