Updating Central Vac to HAH

mdodMay 5, 2013

When we built our house in 1990 we put in a VacuMaid P128 system. It is still going but our motor is not sounding very happy so I spent all day researching this online. I think I've narrowed it down to an Imperium CV7700, which has an even stronger motor than our old Vacu-Maid. But now I'm also interested in the Hide-A-Hose.

We have a 2 story house and a full basement with a suspended ceiling. We've got 5 outlets total (1 up, 2 down and 2 in the basement) and two fulls sets of hoses/tools. We also added a VacPan in the kitchen last year.

I can put a single 50' HAH outlet in the hallway on the first floor and easily reach the entire first and second floor (via the 2 story foyer). I frequently do the stairs and just continue on to the upstairs hallway with my 30' hose so I know the extra 20' will cover it.

The upstairs is all carpet and the first floor is about half carpet and half hardwood. I've heard mixed comments about the Turbo-Cat results but I figure I'd still have my regular system If I needed the electric floor unit.

As long as we have access to the ceiling in the basement, we should be able to run the 50'+ independent run and put in a HAH outlet on the first floor without tearing up sheetrock, right?

Will my existing tools attach to the HAH pump handle? If so I was thinking about getting the 35' electric cord so I could use my electric rug attachment with the HAH instead of the Turbo Cat if I needed to.

Also, any thoughts on the RF pump handle vs the plain one? It's over $100 extra and I'm already doubling my expenses if I add a HAH. My second VacuMaid hose had the power switch on the handle and I really liked that so I guess I should cough up the money for it but since it's so easy to put away, maybe I'll be more likely to just put it back in the "garage" if I have to stop for a while.

Any other advice is appreciated.

More Discussions
Floorplan review please
I would love to get feedback on this floor plan. The...
boonieshome
Master Bath revisions
Which revision do you like better? There can only be...
edwardshome
Is the 'remote' home office worth it?
We need an office for DH that is away from the day-to-day...
edwardshome
What are you doing for your security system?
I know that's an extra cost, but I was curious as to...
aimless07
Please review my plans - help needed with bedroom arrangement
Hi folks! This is the second time I have posted our...
Momto3kiddos
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™