Your owm Web site?

stevec50December 15, 2002

Do any of you have their own web site w/ domain name? I'm thinking of getting my own domain name and a 5 page web site. It's going to cost me $20 US a month. Is there anything I should know before I shell out any money? This will be my own Web address and not a web page on a site.

Thanks for any help,

Steve C.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marciakm

You would probably get more answers if you posted on the computer help and webhelp sites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Try this:

Bookmark   December 16, 2002 at 10:17AM
maryanntx

Steve, I have my own website. My isp gives me 100 mb of webspace. I made a webpage using some of my space for a friend who had an antique shop. For $8.95 a year I bought a domain name for her. Actually I guess it was more of a forwarding service. You could type in www.cackleberries-antiques.com and it would go to her site, but the address in the address bar was my address. Anyway, wasn't bad for such a cheap price. She went out of business so I gave up the domain name.
I have lots of pages now for myself and my son and still haven't come close to using the 100 mb of space!

Bookmark   December 16, 2002 at 9:00PM
prettyphysicslady

Do a lot of comparison shopping there are some really good deals out there.

It is very nice having your own domain. You get the email addresses you like and I have quite a bit of fun with my website.

I use www.hostings.com they have several package deals and I've been very happy with them over the last 3 years.

Bookmark   December 18, 2002 at 8:23PM
stevec50

Thank you all for posting back.I'll look into your ideas.
Marciakm, I went to that forum and posted there. Thanks a lot.
Take care, Steve C.

Bookmark   December 18, 2002 at 11:01PM
JanetsCountry

I think you can find something for alot cheaper than $20 a month, there are some for $7.95 a mo.

have fun

Bookmark   December 29, 2002 at 9:19PM
roanimare

Hi SteveC -- The reason most people get their own .com is to appear to the public as a legitimate business or organization. In the business world someone using a "free" site isn't looked at as very serious - don't want to ruffle any feathers but that's how business people view them. And $20 per month sound average. I pay more. If it's a true business, then that $20 is a business expense toward advertising, etc. And realize you get what you pay for still holds true in computer service - so check them out. HTH :0)

Bookmark   January 6, 2003 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
Photo Postcard Ideas
Do you have any suggestions on how to get a postcard...
trudymom
Greeting Card ideas
I have just started making (or trying to make) greeting...
Cuddlebones
computer projects for kids!
hey all! I have to assign few computer/technology projects...
rosessecretgarden
Napkin, printer question?
Can names be printed on paper napkins, using a Lexmark...
older
Web Design and Mobile Application Development Services
How to create mobile application Design?
Jennifermeria
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™