Making material using your PC

cece_December 30, 2002

I know I need to handle this carefully, as I don't want to upset Spike, even though I do pay to be here (LOL)--

BUT_

Today on a TV show, there was a lady who showed how she puts everyday items on her scanner, drapes over them pretty material, makes a scan, and proceeds to make her own material to make a quilt.

Now, printing a pic onto fabric is nothing new, but her technique makes the material very soft, and suitable for quilt piecing. I wish I would have taped the show, but will be on the lookout for it to air again.

In the meantime, I thought you might enjoy reading about it. Even if you aren't into quilts, other applications are endless.

She had a very long banner made out of an old photo of her dad, as decorations for his 90th birthday.

I am posting to several groups, so don't be disappointed if the link doesn't work right away.

I am in NO way affiliated with this lady or her site----just wanted to share.

Here is a link that might be useful: Making soft material from your printer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maryanntx

The Bubble Jet Set has been mentioned here before. I have printed photos, etc. directly onto fabric with my printer but I've never tried the Bubble Jet Set.

Bookmark   December 30, 2002 at 6:02PM
wnlbutterfly

I have the Bubble Jet Set. I haven't made too much with it yet, but have made some fabric labels (with a very small pic), and a couple of quilt blocks.

I actually made 4 quilt blocks, two using tranfer paper for dark fabrics. Of the 4, the two using the Bubble Jet set and white cotton fabric was the best, hands down.

So I can say that it does transfer your design (I have a cheap printer, Lexmark Z22), looks great, feels great. The only thing I can't vouch for is long term.....I haven't tried washing it, nor have I had them long enough to see long term effects, like fading.

I haven't done this yet, but thought it would be something to play with. I thought about doing some dolls with this. Using the computer to do the graphics, print onto the fabric and then sew it up. Just a thought.

Bookmark   January 6, 2003 at 9:04AM
maryanntx

wnlbutterfly, I had planned to make dolls in that way also. I wanted to scan a photo and use the persons (or childs) face as the doll face. I played around with it for awhile and then got side-tracked. Maybe I'll work some more with it now. Like I mentioned above, I have printed directly onto fabric and it works fine and looks good. The Bubble Jet Set is supposed to make it washable. I have heard that it goes a long way and can be reused.

Bookmark   January 6, 2003 at 6:30PM
mariahw44

I had saved this website to my Favorites to check later, but it is no longer available. Does anyone know if you can buy this Bubble Jet at a craft store or was it exclusive to this company? I was very interested in trying this.

Thanks.

Bookmark   January 9, 2003 at 11:40AM
maryanntx

Try this site, mariahw44, Bubble Jet Set. I think that I read awhile back that some quilt shops sold it or a similar product. Good luck and let us know how your items turn out.

Bookmark   January 9, 2003 at 1:13PM
rosie_ga

It was difficult to find...either online or from a quilt shop. I have used it to copy my dog's pic on muslin. Worked great. Have only played with it a couple of times. Need to go back and focus again.

Bookmark   January 11, 2003 at 1:24PM
More Discussions
candy wrappers
I am looking for a site that carried boxes, ttc. they...
fortescuegal
fake money
Is there a web site where I can print off fake money...
arnl279
Printable mouse pads
I would like to know if anyone can give me advice on...
kessy56
Web Design and Mobile Application Development Services
How to create mobile application Design?
Jennifermeria
Gold computer paper
Does anyone know where I can find a gold and/or silver...
june_nd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™