dingbats, anyone?

ArtsyCraftsyNovember 7, 2002

If you love dingies like I do, here's a nice site for some ones I hadn't seen before. As I mention on C&D, these are great for the glass marble magnets.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: dingbat pages

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lia_SC

That IS a nice site! And a great idea to use with the marbles!

Bookmark   November 9, 2002 at 9:43AM
sapphires

I don't understand the use for dingbats, when using some of them they don't show the words your saying just symbols. Can some one explain the use to me. Thank you.

Bookmark   November 10, 2002 at 5:46PM
ArtsyCraftsy

Hi Sapphires- Dingbats are almost always just tiny pictures/symbols and not letters. There is such a wide variety out there! I have butterflies, flowers, postage stamps, ethnic designs, holiday images, animals, and all other kinds of patterns & images. There is a different picture assigned to each letter of the alphabet. It is a way to add cute little images to your projects that will always be nice & clear no matter how large you make them. Let's say you are making a card and want a border of flowers along the bottom. You can make that border by typing a row of flower dingbats. Or maybe on the inside you have a birthdy greeting and you want a little picture of a hat or cake beside the words. You can type the birthday dingbat and make it any color you want.
I can type a dingbat in my image editor and fill it with a a pattern or photo and turn it into my own custom clip art.
I collect dingbats for various crafts, like card making, stickers, creating background papers, shrinky plastic charms, image transfer on polymer clay, & the marble magnets & pushpins. I even glued a bunch to the links on a blank bracelet and made my own custom jewelry!

Karen

Bookmark   November 10, 2002 at 6:40PM
sapphires

Karen,
Thanks so much for explaining it to me. Sounds like fun, I think I am gettting hooked. Let me ask you, can I save them to a folder I create other than the font folder, and when I want to use them just open that folder, minimize it and then be able to use that font? Awaiting your reply and then I'm off to get me some dingbats. LOl.

Bookmark   November 10, 2002 at 7:41PM
ArtsyCraftsy

The dingbats can be downloaded into their own folder apart from fonts (that's what I do) for organization purposes. But since they really are a font made of pictures instead of letters, you need to install them into your system fonts folder just like your other fonts. Once they are installed they will be useable.
TIP-I double-click on each font in my fonts folder, which causes a window to pop open displaying all the characters in that font. You can print that page and keep it in a notebook. I just browse thru the notebook and I can look at all the characters at once, making it easy to find the exact one I want to use. I find it easier to do it this way rather than relying on a tiny on-screen preview.

Karen

Bookmark   November 11, 2002 at 11:08AM
sapphires

Karen,
I could use your help with a font, would you mind emailing me. Thanks.
Sapphires

Bookmark   November 11, 2002 at 1:34PM
sapphires

Karen,
Hi again, well I managed to do it myself. You have created a font monster, lol. I can see how much fun this is and so many things to do with fonts/dingbats. Thanks so much for sharing the sites.

Sapphires

Bookmark   November 11, 2002 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
Web Design and Mobile Application Development Services
How to create mobile application Design?
Jennifermeria
Please Help a GW friend in need?
Sorry for the oblique title, but not sure how to ask...
leahcate
Anyone using Photoshop?
So friends! Is there anyone who is using Photoshop...
rosessecretgarden
Recommendation for paper for Candy Wrappers??
OK I did it finally, made the wrappers I wanted too,...
hailie419
invitation cards!
hi all! Where do you think i can design good invitation...
rosessecretgarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™