Heighth of Vessel Sinks

fredmcJune 10, 2009

We are installing a vessel sink in our bathroom and don't know what the proper heighth of the bowl should be. Can someone that has one measure the distance from the edge of the sink(bowl)to the floor. My first thought is that it should be the same as a regular bathroom sink but that doesn't look right.

Thanks

Fred Mc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
homey_bird

Vessel sinks usually are set a bit higher than the undermounts. The base cabinet of the vessel is typically 30" in height and a typical sink can be up to 6" high thus making the height upto 36".

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 1:57AM
flyinghigh

We have many vessel sinks and IMHO there really isn't a "rule of thumb" - it's more about your height and taste. If you are average height to tall, you should be OK setting the vessel completely above counter height, but if you are short, you may want to lower it into the countertop a bit by widening the hole. You don't mention if you are redoing the cabinet that it will sit on. If you are, you can adjust the height of the cabinet to accomodate the height of the vessel.

I've put a link to an article that might help you further.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to install a vessel sink article

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 12:04PM
pharaoh

homey_bird is right on. We did ours with a 30" counter height plus 6" vessel so that the vessel top is at 36" from the floor.
In our next bathroom I might go even higher maybe 38" to the top of the vessel.
Best thing to do is to set it up yourself. Get a piece of plywood or even a book. set the vesse on top. ask someone to hold it for you. then play with the height to see what is most comfortable.
Then back calculate the countertop, then the vanity etc.

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 12:17PM
sweeby

It really depends on the type of vessel sink, on the vanity height, on your height(s) and on your personal preferences. There's no simple 'right' number...

I'd do a mock up. Have you and your wife both stand with your eyes closed and reach out to an imaginary sink to wash your faces, brush your teeth, whatever else... Wherever your hands reach out to -- be sure your sink rim is a few inches below that.

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 12:47PM
jtsgranite4us

We recessed ours so it wouldn't be too high. Our vanity top is 33 1/2" and the vessel sinks extend 2 1/2" from the vanity top. 36" total height works for us.

Here is a picture:

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 11:17PM
kdaren

if you are looking to buy travertine or marble sinks, DEKO Tile has a great selection.. you should check it out - I have otwo of their v vessels installed in my guest bathroom, it looks amazing...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinks at Deko Tile

Bookmark   June 15, 2009 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
Does anyone know where to sell a brand new vanity
looking to sell locally only and tried craigslist this...
matdrew
Ledges, niches and shelves
In our first remodel, we did niches (don't like them),...
sjhockeyfan325
Bertch 60" single bowl vanity for hall bath
I would appreciate some advice and insight on my dilemma....
Sofia Akhter
Need bathroom sink/mirror/sconce advice asap!!
Hello everyone, we are in a total pickle over what...
Jenn Cassie
Uberhaus Shower Column
Hello, I am looking for any feedback anyone can lend...
johnmaks
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™