Tip on Using Iron-On Decals

Red_ConfettiSeptember 4, 2003

The instructions for iron-on decals usually tell you to put the shirt (or whatever you're applying the decal to) on a very firm surface, preferably your formica kitchen counter. I've always done that with good results.

But I recently wanted to apply a decal to the back of a t-shirt that had a pocket on the front. There was no way to get a completely flat surface where I wanted it without the pocket creating bumps through to the back.

My solution was to go to a hardware (Home Depot) and buy a 12" x 12" adobe floor tile... one that was unglazed and absolutely flat (no ripples). I slipped that into the shirt to use as the 'formica.' Worked super!! The size was slightly larger than any decal I'd be applying (max. size 8-1/2" x 11"). And I got a little tile to slip into pockets when I want to put a decal on them, or to use when applying decals to kids' shirt sleeves, pant legs, etc.

The cost of the large tile was only $1.38... can't beat that!

No doubt a glazed tile would work just as well. I just happened to pick unglazed. Just be sure the tile you buy is perfectly smooth.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevec50

A great tip Red! I've been using a piece of hardboard for a while now (the brown stuff) and it's worked out well also.
SteveC

Bookmark   September 4, 2003 at 10:49AM
More Discussions
computer projects for kids!
hey all! I have to assign few computer/technology projects...
rosessecretgarden
Recommendation for paper for Candy Wrappers??
OK I did it finally, made the wrappers I wanted too,...
hailie419
invitation cards!
hi all! Where do you think i can design good invitation...
rosessecretgarden
What paper is best for greeting cards/postcards?
I'd like to use some of my own pictures to make greeting...
mrstlc
Web Design and Mobile Application Development Services
How to create mobile application Design?
Jennifermeria
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™