Tiling to Vanity

ctkathyMay 8, 2013

Would you normally tile a wall and then install a vanity or install the vanity and tile to the vanity? Would it matter if the bathroom was a very upscale master bath or a more budget installation? (this is a built-in look)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedyacres

Tile the whole wall behind the vanity. If you want/need to replace the vanity in the future, you don't want a hole that may be an odd size to fill. Same reason you run the floor tile under the vanity.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 8:34AM
ctkathy

It is more the side of the vanity I'm concerned about than the back. I have a window on the side and I'm tiling under the window and then it runs into the vanity and I think it looks better to have the tile on the wall before the vanity is placed.

Just to be clear, you are saying to tile backspash all the way down to the floor behind the cabinet? I'm guessing you would recommend tiling the side walls also before placing vanity?

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 8:39AM
enduring

If I had a vanity, and only had a backsplash to tile, I'd install the vanity, then the counter, then the backsplash. If I had the wall tiled, either a wainscot or a full wall, I'd tile first then the vanity, regardless if it was the side or back of the vanity.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 4:44PM
weedyacres

What enduring said.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 6:32PM
nancyinmich

I agree to tile behind the vanity. I am planning our upcoming bath remodel and this is how I am thinking about the tile and the vanity: the vanity I put in now meets today's needs. There may come a day when I need wheelchair access and the vanity may be too much in the way. In my case, the sink I am using can then be hung on the wall. Others may find that they might want different changes down the road. By tiling the floor and the wall, you retain the ability to make changes to the bathroom. Get a smaller vanity and add a bidet; get a larger vanity with room to do a diaper change - there are a world of possibilities.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 7:59PM
More Discussions
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
Need advice on shower valve location!!!
We are considering a fixed wall or glass divider for...
aboutdabass
Should I be concerned about the lippage on my new tile job?
At first glance my porcelain tile job in my bathroom...
susanelewis
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
Air Tubs: Bain Ultra vs Oceania??
We have researched a number of "air tubs"...
d_dub
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™