Buying a used Vitamix?

magn1jesMay 17, 2014

I have my heart set on a Vitamix. I would love to have a professional version but will have to wait a while if I am going to fork over $400+ on one. I found an older version 5000 with wet and dry containers in my area for $300. Is this a good deal? They all seems to be going for about $400 on eBay. Would you recommend buying the older version, or wait on the professional? Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magn1jes

I should add that I do currently have a food processor (that I hope to use more than I do now) and a pretty poor Ninja blender. I don't know if the Vitamix would be overkill.

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 4:22PM
zzackey

We bought a Vitamix last year. We make soup in ours in just a few minutes. The motor gets so hot it cooks the soup. It will out perform anything you mentioned. IMO, I would buy a new one.

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 4:25PM
beaniebakes

Vitamix sells reconditioned units with 5 year warranties on their web site.
Search for "reconditioned" and a couple of choices will pop up. I just checked and there's one for $299. I would not hesitate to buy a used machine in working condition. Vitamix provides great customer service.

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 5:14PM
nyrgirl35

Another option is QVC offers payment plans if that works for you! I believe they have some you can pay off in 5 payments

Here is a link that might be useful: Vitamix

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 8:49PM
joeboldt

Another thing that might help is to consider the machine options. My chef brother-in-law suggested going with the two speed model, rather than a variable speed. It works great and I can't see what purpose a speed in between the two I have would bring to the table for a couple of hundred dollars more.

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 8:30PM
adamp

Actually, currently if you buy reconditioned the variable speed is only $20 more. If you only make smoothies then the two speed is fine, but the added control of the variable speed is useful if you want to make things that are not completely liquified, such as pesto or salsa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vitamix Model Differences

Bookmark   May 19, 2014 at 2:40AM
joeboldt

Adamp, Yes I would agree with you. I don't use my vitamix for that. I use my cuisinart.

Bookmark   May 19, 2014 at 11:12AM
adamp

Fair enough, joeboldt. I've got a one-machine kitchen.

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 12:34AM
gardenbobby

You should absolutely look into a factory refurbished vitamix. They are practically new (with new containers etc) and still come with a great warranty. Vitamix also offers a payment plan if you purchase directly through vitamix.com or by phone.As an added tip, you can get free shipping, and sometime other special deals, using a "promotion code" from an online affiliate like http://rawblends.com/vitamix-blender/

Here is a link that might be useful: vitamix promotion code

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 1:58AM
More Discussions
Bread baking in the Blue Star Range
We are in the process of building a new home and though...
mullde
Wolf vs Thermador & Viking, Miele vs Bosch - YMMV
I use this forum often for research often so I thought...
msk6261
essentials you can't live without in your front load washing machine?
I am trying to purchase a new washing machine for our...
abick2
Getting the most out of Miele Masterchef?
Probably a dumb question... There are a lot of different...
schicksal
Coffee Machines
What is the best built in coffee machine for your buck?...
J Saleh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™