It sheds!

maximavswifeSeptember 23, 2010

I purchased a couple of yards of burlap from Joann's (used a coupon, of course!). I am planning to make a runner for the dining table for fall and T-day. I know from last year when I used burlap it shed all over everything. Our lil light haired dog doesn't shed as much as burlap does! :) How do I stop the shedding? Any help would be appreciated.

Kath

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janet1_2007

Kath, Try spraying your finished runner with hair spray or a spray starch, maybe even a product like Clear coat though it might give it a different feel. I think I would try the hair spray first. Someone was talking on another post about cat tails shedding when they dried. I have also sprayed them with hairspray with pretty good results. Hope this helps. ( YOU could try a little on a scrap first to see if it worked)Janet

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 7:26PM
sunnyca_gw

Be careful if you have guests with allergies as burlap can really set people off. The hairspray or Clear coat would cut back on allergens. Just don't ruin your table, starch or hairspray can be pretty hard to get off of hard surfaces as some lacquer may be in hairspray & starch if gets wet would get on table. They use sugar water to make crocheted vases stand up etc, I guess you could get recipe off Internet & use lighter solution but you would have to lay it so it would be same shape as runner on table in case it got stiff anyway. Watered down white glue would work also I would think.Jan

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 12:21AM
jeannespines

I've tried burlap, too, max & love the look but hate the feel & the shedding...so, I'm buying "linen" this time around ...kind of get the look, but not the mess! But I do use burlap in lots of outdoor stuff! No much help, but just a thought. Jeanne S.

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 11:25AM
kathleen_li

I agree, it makes me itch and sneeze! Good idea, J , with the linen, ie. Or even canvas tarps.

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 11:16PM
luvstocraft

I read somewhere that you could use the Spray on sealer on burlap and even the cat tails to help hold things in place. Maybe a couple of light coats and not get them too wet, worth a try. Luvs

Bookmark   September 25, 2010 at 4:22PM
More Discussions
Not finding any inexpensive beanie baby duckies and . . .
I expect the nearer to Easter it gets, the higher the...
oldalgebra
test 2
Caroline's table
nana2010_gw
Love the pictures to the left of each new topic!
It appears that the first picture posted in a thread...
Tally
Valentine Decor
It was a little crazy decorating this year for Valentine's...
phonegirl
NOT HAPPY with this TAKE-OVER
Hate, hate, hate this has happened to our Forum. I...
Purplemoon
Sponsored Products
Portrait´┐Ż Oval:5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Oval Rug Kid Essentials - Teen Area Rug
$255.95 | Bellacor
Ivory Gardenia Wool Rug
$49.99 | zulily
Manhattan White and Grey Rectangular: 8 Ft. x 10 Ft. Rug
Bellacor
Cambridge Light Blue and Ivory Runner: 2 Ft. 6 In. x 6 Ft. Rug
$78.95 | Bellacor
Gray Barnes Handwoven Wool Rug
$69.99 | zulily
O-Link Runner 2' x 8' - BLACK
$159.00 | Horchow
Baja Circles Indoor/Outdoor Runner 2'3" x 7'6" - ORANGE