Hydronic Towel Warmer

adamdocMay 4, 2013

Hi all - we're nearing sheetrock stage, and are finalizing plumbing details. We have an open-loop hot water circulation system primarily to keep our hot water quickly accessible in a fairly wide layout. I'd like to plumb in a hydronic towel warmer, but can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere.

I've see the Runtal Fain unit which is stainless steel, but is quite pricey, and the rep on the phone was fairly rude. He also seemed to imply that it will be unattractive next to chrome fixtures, which we have everywhere.

I also saw Amba, but can't see if they will work on an open-loop system.

Myson is another brand that makes these things, and some literature online says that they can work with open loop, but the Myson website says closed-loop only.

We can't go electric because the warmer is set to be above a tub, and our inspector informed us that despite what a few salesmen have told us, that is against code.

Anyone have experience with towel warmers on open-loop circ systems?

thanks in advance!

Adam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

You're confusing a hot water recirculation system to get hot water to the faucets with a hot water boiler hydronic heating system that has PEX in the floors, or walls, etc. The two aren't interchangeable at all.

First question is how is your home heated? Hydronically?

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 11:38AM
busybee3

when i had certain questions, i called amba customer service directly and they were very helpful answering questions... the other companies most likely would too over the phone or through email...

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 12:42PM
adamdoc

Thanks for the replies.

Hollysprings - I am not confusing the two. I am quite aware that we don't have hydronic heating, but we do have a domestic hot water recirculation system, which only certain hydronic towel warmers are compatible with... The Fain model is all stainless, so it is fine, but the non-stainless models can't have any air in the system, which is why closed loop is required.

Busybee3 - I'll give Amba a call. Good idea.

Thanks!

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 3:46PM
raehelen

Hudson Reed sells Hydronic towel warmers. Not sure if they are closed or open loop, but you can check their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: TW for a re-circulating hot water system.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 4:00PM
raehelen

Oops, just saw this: Please Note: Our radiators are designed for forced circulation closed loop systems only. They are not compatible with open loop, gravity hot water or steam systems.

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Another shower size questions
I am converting an alcove tub (60x30) to a shower....
cataan
help choosing modern recessed lighting.
Oh my goodness this seems to be the hardest part of...
Edie Nicosia
What is really new in bathroom renovating?
Although I'm more a retro/classic kind of person, I'm...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Shower Size OK?
We're in the middle of a renovation of our master suite...
ntrainer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™