Wainscott in Bathroom????

twingleMay 29, 2013

I really love the look of wainscott but I have a few questions. In a moist enviroment like a bathroom would wood wainscott work? Does it warp?? Is it cheaper than tile??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

Kevin MP has wood wainscot in his bathroom. It is very nice looking. Maybe he will weigh in here on the topic.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 10:27PM
piscesgirl

We are planning on putting wainscot in our masterbath.

I will let Kevin MP weigh in on the warping, but you shouldn't have that much moisture in the bathroom to warp wood and if you do than you have other issues. Think of the wood casing around windows or doors, have you ever seen it warp?

I would say if you have a high water exposure area (like near a tub) i would look into a vinyl type molding (they sell it at Home Depot). That is what we plan on doing for the baseboard molding next to our tub in the hall bath when we redo that next. Our tub/shower curtain is not holding the water and I have noticed damage to the baseboard right next to our tub.

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 12:15PM
allison0704

DH and I installed wood wainscoting at DD2s house in her master. He bought the thicker, tongue and grooved boards. Hasn't had any warping or expansion problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: DD2s bathroom

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 3:53PM
twingle

Thanks everyone. My bathroom doesn't have moisture issues. I just don't know anyone who has wainscot in their bathroom. I really love the look.

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 10:03PM
nancyinmich

There is a textured wallpaper that looks just like cottage-style bead board wainscotting. You paint it, so decorating choices are endless. Below is a thread from the Smaller Homes Forum where it is discussed. We talked about it a lot over there, and some used it. Do a search there if you want to see more. There is a beadboard ceiling and beadboard kitchen cabinet doors in old threads on the Smaller Homes Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about Wainscott Wallpaper

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 1:52AM
mabeldingeldine_gw

I used pine T&G beadboard in my recent bath remodel. I live in a humid climate, so I painted all the boards with one coat of paint on the T&G before installing in case I experienced any movement. We did see some slight shrinkage this winter, but it is not noticeable because of they way we painted.

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
mother of pearl tile
I'm thinking of doing my master bath with mother of...
berdavids
Need advice on best mirror/sconce option in small master bath
My husband and I are FINALLY renovating our master...
cbusgirl41
Toilets, anyone?
Ten years ago we put in the Toto Ultramax after reading...
anniel58
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
So upset about marble floor
This is how my expensive marble basket weave floor...
aiallega
Sponsored Products
Hestia Brown Marble Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
Hudson Valley Cornwall Transitional Bath Vanity Light
1800Lighting
Tissue Box Cover - GRAY (TISSUE HOLDER)
$50.00 | Horchow
Stirling One-Light Chrome Bath Light
$65.60 | Bellacor
Besa Lighting | Pogo Two Light Bath Bar
$288.00 | YLighting
72" Lucius Polished Sunny Gold Marble Tub
Signature Hardware
Primrose Gold Leaf Swarovski Spectra Three-Light Bathroom Light
$300.00 | Bellacor
Afina Signature Collection Double Door 31W x 36H in. Surface Mount Medicine Cabi
$979.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™