Range Hood Ducting Question

TakkoneMay 2, 2012

I need to vent straight up through the ceiling out the roof with a 1200 CFM fan. It is a short run of only about 2'-3' in length as the range is on an exterior wall where the roof is at its lowest point and there is no attic or finished space above.

We found out there is a rafter in the way of where our 10" round duct needs to go. We are about 2" short of clearing it. Contractor suggested fitting the duct with an elbow to give it just enough offset to get by the rafter, rather than re-framing that part of the roof.

Any huge disadvantage to this solution you can think of?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedmeister

It just needs to zig a bit. I think there are adjustable elbow-like duct thingies that can do this. Lord knows I wouldn't reframe the roof for it.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 3:26PM
attofarad

Small bends will have very little effect. Even a 90 or two would not be a huge deal for 10" duct at 1200CFM, but avoid if you can. If you have a roof-mounted blower, things will get more quiet if you can move it further away from the hood.

The adjustable elbows have sections to turn, and adjust anywhere from 0 to 90 degrees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Duct elbow (adjustable)

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 5:29PM
PeterH2

An adjustable 90 degree elbow can very probably be made into a small offset of exactly the type you require - it consists of 4 rotating sections that can be twisted in all kinds of creative ways. Just make sure they tape all the joints with heat-proof tape, otherwise grease will ooze out over time.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 7:39PM
More Discussions
Hands On With the New Wolf M Ovens: Good, Bad & Wish They Woulda'
Just (yesterday) got a new Wolf M double oven installed...
applnut2
Questions about noisy back draft damper on vent hood roof cap
One female here who is definitely not a diy type person....
texasgal47
Has anyone dealt with any members from AutomaticWasher.org
I am curious to know if anyone has spoken with any...
anthony1717
De Dietrich induction cooktop
Is anyone around that has any data about De Deitrich...
chinchette
Please help. Oven is only turning on if I light it manually...
Hello all. I was wondering if anyone can give me an...
stef2222
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™