How to create outdoor living with our floorplan

TravisinHVApril 26, 2013

Here is a copy of the stock floor plan we are modifying.
http://houseplans.co/house-plans/2263dc/
We are adding to the garage level a theater room and guest bedroom/full bath.
Our dilemma is that we want an outdoor living space and do not want a parlor, so our designer thought we could move the dining room to the parlor space, add a wall and the current dining room would be outdoors with french doors leading from the parlor(future dining room) to the outside. This creates a problem of putting conditioned living space below the outdoor living space.

So would you install folding nana style doors and keep the area shown as dining indoors, or would you somehow redesign the downstairs to still have a theater room but not have any living space below the future outdoor living area?

Its kind of hard to type up my thoughts and I don't know how to draw them on the plan to show.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
auroraborelis

Why not just have an outdoor area of the back of the kitchen dining area?

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:28PM
TravisinHV

Because the roof lines would not look good. We want it to be a covered outdoor living area since we live in rainy portland oregon so if we could do outdoor living with lots of gas fireplaces/firepits we can use it almost year round if its fully roofed/covered.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 11:07PM
Annie Deighnaugh

Floor plan:

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 7:49AM
Annie Deighnaugh

Only problem with that is I wouldn't be happy with the distance between the kitchen and the DR, and how I'd have to get there. If you used Nana doors to sometimes open it, you'd need a wall with doors to close off the new DR and then you'd have to truck plates and food either around through the foyer or through multiple sets of doors.

You could extend the wall on the side of the fridge across the new space to incorporate a hallway to the new DR, but then the outdoor space would be smaller, maybe 10x10. I'd also get rid of the step to the parlor....trip hazard.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 7:56AM
palimpsest

What if you put the kitchen where the Dining is, the Dining in the parlor and a combination of indoor outdoor space where the "nook" and kitchen are essentially making an atrium plan?

Why aren't you looking at plans that already have some integrated outdoor space?

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 11:16AM
mrspete

You're talking about moving the dining room -- do you need two eating spaces? If not, you could easily make the nook into a single nice dining space.

Note that your breakfast nook is larger than your dining room.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 7:55PM
More Discussions
We are done! Here are some professional pictures.
We closed last Friday and the movers came on Monday...
aimless07
Mitch Ginn Elberton Way photos and feedback?
We have chosen Southern Living's Elberton Way to build...
karakell
It's March 2015: How is your build progressing?
Zorro-anyone can start one. :) Link to It's February...
autumn.4
Living on property while building
Has anyone lived on site of their build? Our plans...
the_foxes_pad
May not build - what is fair to builder?
We are still in the planning stages of a new home build....
buildinse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™