Is this a mistake? (Too late)

chibimimiDecember 16, 2012

My husband left something cooking too long in a good stainless steel pot and it ended up with burnt-on residue. After soaking, scrubbing, and scouring with little effect, I grabbed the oven cleaner, gave the pot a good spray, and left it for a few hours. The residue rinsed right off. The pot looks great, but now I'm wondering if this was a smart thing to do. Assuming the pot is well-cleaned before we use it again, is it all right or have I ruined it? Or even worse, do I run the risk of poisoning the family if I use it again?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

If the pot looks great, why would you think you ruined it? Just wash and rinse it thoroughly before using it again.

    Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 8:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

I've used oven cleaner on stubborn burned spots on pots,pans, baking and serving pieces. Just don't leave on too long, maybe 5 minutes, it works great. Definitely wash and rinse well before cooking in them. Nobody in my family has been made sick by doing this.

    Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 10:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cearbhaill

I don't think it will hurt anyone but would not be at all surprised if the finish has been damaged. It would be visible, though and I guess depends on the quality of the piece.
You'll know for sure the next time you use it to cook- if it is damaged everything will stick and it will be so annoying that you toss it.

But if it looks the same chances are it is the same and will be fine.

Bottom line- try it and see.

    Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 7:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emma

I burned mine and just replaced it, I wasn't sure about permanent damage. I like the new pans I have been seeing in the stores. The are rounder and more shallow than the older pans. They fit the burners better.

    Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 4:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chibimimi

Thanks, all. Since I won't poison anyone by using it, we'll see how it holds up to cooking. If it doesn't -- out it goes!

    Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 4:47PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
hard water marks on glasses
Can anyone tell me how to clean hard water marks from...
MIStepMom
removing dog urine smell
My aister, who works full time, has had a live in nanny....
cearab
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
Removing Stains Caused by Stain Removers - Carpet
Hi all, What's the best way to remove stains on a Sofa,...
afrolawnmower
onions on wood cutting board odor removal?
I tried searching and haven't seen this-- We use a...
sheilaaus122
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™