Detergent for delicate/expensive sweaters

ice_cream_loverDecember 4, 2010

Hi, I really would like your tips for a special detergent for very delicate sweaters, I've been using woolite for a long time, but it doesn't work ok for some of them, they look flat (not fluffy) and "old" (they're not) What kind of detergent can you recomend ?

Thanks for your help

Alma

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
livebetter

You may have more luck posting this is the laundry forum (there are some real laundry gurus there).

I would want more information about these sweaters. What material are they? Cashmere? Silk? Are the embellished with something?

I personally love Vaska Herbatergent (I have the lavender one) for my fine washables but I also have the Laundress Wool/Cashmere. I'm not a huge fan of the Laundress line but the wool/cashmere really does do a beautiful job. http://store.thelaundress.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TL&Category_Code=135woolCash

Here is a link that might be useful: Vaska

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 11:01AM
jannie

Buy some shampoo at the dollar store, see if that works. You night also try using "Dryel" dry-cleaner substitute that works in the dryer. Other than that, it may be hopeless. My experience is, once a delicate material is ruined, it can't be revived.

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 11:28AM
westvillager

Detergent is a consideration (I use the same product they use at a museum here in NYC to care for their fabrics) but it might help to consider how the item is washed, dried and blocked. I tend to focus more on the material type than any one brand for all clothing, so my contribution would be to also consider the process if it's worth it.

There are a bunch of folks here who've tried a TON of detergent brands. You'll find one! :)

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
Getting Cigarette Smoke Out of Clothes
My daughter's friend gave her a lot of clothes. Friend...
monicakm_gw
Urine stain on rug from dog
My sweet doggie has tinkled two different times on...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™