In-floor radiant heat coupled with open shower

mrspeteMay 26, 2013

We're planning an open shower-- open as in no doors. Is it okay to have radiant heat under the tiles in an area that's going to get wet?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

Different manufacturers have different requirements. Some prohibit it, some allow them with no restrictions, some only allow them if they are under a waterproof membrane.

In my house, I have whole house hydronic RFH, even under the shower. For all practical purposes, I really don't think you'd notice much of a difference between having the RFH under your shower tiles and having the shower water warm your floor tiles before you step in the shower.

But if you do want to do it, there are ways to do it.

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 8:16AM
elphaba_gw

I think ours is Laticrete brand. Our shower is curbless and the radiant floor heat covers wet and dry areas. I had already perused the John Bridge tile forum where they talk a lot about radiant floor heat so I knew I could have it under the wet area as well. My contractor did ask me initially so this probably helped him decide which product to use.

And we LOVE the open shower concept. No door to mess with. Adds a lot to the relaxation of a shower.

This post was edited by elphaba on Mon, May 27, 13 at 23:34

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 11:33PM
BelfastBound

My GC wants $2,000 to put hydronic RH in the walls of a corner shower with 2 exterior walls in a 5x7 space. We are in Maine building a new house for aging in place. I am wondering if we should pay up for the RH or install a shower door for about 1K. Any opinions on that?

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 7:22AM
More Discussions
Has anyone seen an interior door handle like this in the States?
Sorry for the link but I couldn't find an image to...
ceezeecz
What do you think about tiling the ceiling of the shower?
This dovetails with previous posts where I've discussed...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Another shower size questions
I am converting an alcove tub (60x30) to a shower....
cataan
Shower Size OK?
We're in the middle of a renovation of our master suite...
ntrainer
Need advice on shower valve location!!!
We are considering a fixed wall or glass divider for...
aboutdabass
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™