Opinions wanted on damaged door

carraApril 30, 2014

Hi! We have an 8 foot unfinished fir door ($1100) in our new build. One of the subs damaged the door. It has several 'dents' in the bottom panel that are too deep to be sanded out. Our builder is willing to order us a brand new door, however, he offered us a $400 credit if we would allow him to either place a metal kickplate over the damage (an option we would not be happy with) or they would repair it with stainable putty. He is unsure as to how the repair would look. This door WAS over our allowance, so it would be nice to have the credit. At the same time, we don't want our nice door to look awful either. Opinions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Karen15

Id want it replaced. You spent good money on it and they should be cautious. Just curious if you brought this up to them or were you notified it got damaged?

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 9:22PM
carra

We found the damage, but I don't fault the builder for that. The subs damaged it.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 9:34PM
nostalgicfarm

There is a big difference between a 700 door and an 1100 door.
When I bought my 3500 fridge that I had waited for for 3 years, it had a dent Icould see from my stove....where I am most of the time. I was offered aabout a 300 credit. Told DH about it, and he said do what I want....he said if I tool the credit to apply it to the TV I wanted to put above the fridge. I decided to take the credit, and had a TV up there the next day....barely ever noticed the dent after that ;)
I don't think you will notice the stainable putty in your day to day living. Especially if it means you can splurge on drawer pulls for the kitchen or get the master bath tile you really want...or whatever it may be ;)

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 9:57PM
robin0919

pic?

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 10:12PM
carra

I thought I had one, but we can't find it.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 10:45PM
carra

Here is a picture of the door damage. It's on the bottom of the door.

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 5:45PM
MFatt16

I would let them fill that and take the credit. I am not one to dwell on things though. If it will constantly catch your eye though, get the replacement. Ask yourself this, would you have bought this door at a showroom if it was slightly imperfect and $400 less? Or would you have paid full price for perfect?

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 7:01PM
kirkhall

I share Matt's opinion, and really like his last question--
Would you have bought a door at $400 discount with this imperfection?

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 8:03PM
carra

That's a GREAT question. Thanks for the insight and help!

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 8:21PM
jennybc

In my house it would be a relief. Now I don't have to worry too much about the perfect door. Or worry about the kids putting the first dent in it... Or me! Small, hardly noticible. After stain it will disappear, to me that is.

Jen

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 8:57PM
MFatt16

You're welcome. Good luck with the rest of your build!

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 9:37PM
robin0919

Or, depending on your style .....maybe put some more dents in it to make it look antique or salvaged?

This post was edited by robin0919 on Tue, May 6, 14 at 23:03

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 11:01PM
geoffrey_b

Many times you can easily raise a dent in wood. Cover the dent with a damp wash cloth, and use an iron set to medium heat. Many times you can raise the dent.

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 1:29PM
renovator8

You mention stain but not what the final finish will be so it's difficult to offer solutions for the repair of the door. I suspect a professional finisher could make it look fine.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 6:58AM
carra

My husband has decided to let the builder have the door repaired and take the $400 credit! Thanks everyone for the opinions. I'll try to post a picture after it is repaired!

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Would you trust a builder to create a blueprint from your own sketch?
We have heard of people building custom without using...
liv2tell
Cost of digging down for a basement worth it? Storm shelter ideas?
We will be building a home on a piece of land we own...
liv2tell
Please help critique this floor plan.
Hi all. We are hoping to break ground within the next...
daboyd4
help me choose our floors
We have 2 options for our floors - white oak (longer...
3ilovepie
getting close to our move in day
Moving in about two weeks, got a lot of things to do...
joerallen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™