Sink Scratches

jinnufrDecember 3, 2004

My white (porcelain?) sink gets silvery scratch marks in it very easily. The first time I cleaned it I used soft scrub w/ bleach and they came off, but since then I haven't been able to remove them 100%. As it is I use so much of the stuff I have a hard time getting it all rinsed off. This sink seems high maintenance to me.

What causes these marks? Have any of you had any luck keeping them at bay or getting rid of them more easily?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cupajoe

Buy an alunimum polish called Cameo,and use it with a bleach cleaner.The polish will help move the finish of the porcelin to cover the scratches.To keep them at bay,buy some rubber sink mats to avoid getting them in the first place.The Cameo is a powder in a white plastic shaker can with a blue and silver label.In some stores it's sold by the powdered cleansers,in some stores by the silver polish.

Bookmark   December 5, 2004 at 10:39AM
chinacat_sunflower

the problem with vitreous china (porcelain) and enamel sinks is that the more you scrub, the more 'matte' the surface becomes, the more it invites stains, rub marks, and the like- trust me, I know, I've got a 70 year old enamel sink in my kitchen, and it SHOULD get bleached three times a week, if I wanted to dump that much poison into the system...

I'm solving it by ignoring the sink, and putting money away for a stainless steel sink.

Bookmark   December 6, 2004 at 1:37PM
smom40

Metal pans cause the marks. I agree with the first response..go get one of those rubbermaid mats for the bottom of the sink.

And yeah, gimme stainless too!

Bookmark   December 8, 2004 at 11:29PM
JoJo_Ohio

I use Cameo or Bon Ami and the scratches come up fairly easily.

Bookmark   January 14, 2005 at 10:33PM
susanjn

I found Barkeepers Friend works better than Bon Ami.

Bookmark   January 15, 2005 at 12:41AM
raybeck

I love porcelain sinks and you couldn't give me a ss sink! I guess it just depends on what you get used to having. I think Barkeepers Friend is probably one of my favorite cleaning solutions. I recently found it in the liquid, which is nice for quick jobs but my favorite is the powder form. It keep all of my porcelain sinks looking like new and I have 12 of them scattered throughout my home. I must admit we have only been in our new home 3 weeks, but I have always had porcelain and never a problem, once I discovered the Bar Keeper's Friend. Every time my MIL would come to visit she would always ask me if I had gotten a new kitchen sink, because it was so shiny and clean and every time I would tell her no, same kitchen sink she had been seeing for 15 years! ha

Bookmark   February 6, 2005 at 5:29PM
kristyatywam

where do you buy "Barkeepers Friend?"

Bookmark   May 2, 2007 at 12:12PM
mcbird

grocery store is where I buy mine. Walmart and Target probably have it too. It's good stuff. I even used it to clean the grout on my bathroom floor.

Bookmark   May 3, 2007 at 9:40PM
corsica2001_shaw_ca

I accidentally scratched my white sink with a hairbrush I was washing.....yes, little "pencil like" marks were looking back at me....first tried the magic eraser - no luck! THEN tried rubbing toothpaste on the scratches and WOW! no more scratches! So then I worked on the tub and it worked for those scratches as well!

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 8:21AM
cmwheelahan_yahoo_com

Wendy, What type of toothpaste did you use?

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 9:15AM
patburrell

I have "pencil like" marks on my new fireclay sink also. What is the "rubbing toothpaste?" I can't seem to find anything with that name?

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 7:50AM
morz8

Pat, it isn't 'rubbing toothpaste', but rubbing with toothpaste. Any toothpaste that is not the gel-type product should produce about the same results, most have a very fine abrasive in them to aid in cleaning (teeth)

Bookmark   February 13, 2015 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Coffee Pot. How to clean?
It's thermal. But I can't get the coffee stains out....
Suzi AKA DesertDance
How often should I wash area rug?
We have a washable (in a large capacity laundromat...
Valerie Emmerich
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™