Shower floor tile question

Aztec123May 24, 2014

This is our first time renovating a house. We are building two bathrooms from scratch. Our contractor put us in touch with his "tile and fixture guy" a while back and we spent 3+ hours choosing, mixing and matching tile for each bathroom, vanities, fixtures, etc. We chose a marble basket weave for one bath floor, and a black and white octagon / "soccer ball" pattern for the kids bath floor. Towards the end of the grueling session, we asked about tile for the floor of the shower (we had assumed we would have a different tile in the shower floor than the rest of the bathroom), and he said something along the lines of "you've picked a small enough tile, I would just use the same tile in the shower floor". We were pretty beat at that point and just went with it.

Long story short, several weeks have passed, the tile guy was super-slow in actually ordering the fixtures and vanities we decided on. The whole project has slipped due to his casual disregard of what was the laid out timeline. So we are quite unhappy with the tile guy. Today was the first day we saw some of the tile that has been installed, and we HATE how it looks with the same tile on the shower floor as the rest of the bathroom (otherwise we are fine with it). I will post a few pictures. I honestly can't tell if this actually looks terrible, or if I am channeling my dissatisfaction with the overall performance. Any thoughts - does this look bad? If I wanted to throw down and ask to have the shower tile removed and something else put in - is that even an option at this point?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raehelen

No, it doesn't look bad at all! Keep in mind that you have NOTHING else in the BR at the moment and you are being hyper-critical. Once you have sills, trim, fixtures, vanities in there it will all come together.

From what I can see, it looks like a really NICE tile job!

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 10:12PM
amberm145_gw

That looks awesome!

I would really like to have the same tile on the floor of the shower as the rest of the bathroom. Unfortunately, I'm drawn to very large format tiles for the floor, and they won't work for the shower.

So I'm kind of jealous. :)

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 10:49PM
chispa

The trend lately has been to use large format tiles on the bathroom floor, so people will usually pick a smaller coordinating tile for the shower, so you might have gotten used to that look. Plenty of people do the smaller tiles throughout too. It looks nice and well done.

I'm remodeling and picked a really large tile for the bathroom floor and in the shower I went with the same tile and color, but in a 2" x 2" size.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 12:30AM
sjhockeyfan325

Stop obsessing - it looks great, and once the toilet, tub etc are in it won't look so " all one thing".

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 11:54AM
Babka NorCal 9b

It looks great to me. Once the bathroom is finished and decorated (rugs, etc) you will be so very happy that the floor is uniform. Nice job!

-Babka

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 1:53PM
divotdiva

I like I, especially the basketweave. When mixing sizes,typically you want smaller tile in the shower than the rest of the bath for safety purposes, not the other way around. Having it all the same keeps it consistent which will be lovely when it's all done.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 2:19PM
itltrot

Looks great to me!

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 5:09PM
juddgirl2

I like it! It will look even better once you have you shower wall tiles and shower doors in.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 5:22PM
lotteryticket

I like it. I think when it's all done you will, too. A friend who is a designer usually suggest using the same tile throughout, though if a large format is used in the main floor she likes the look of the same tile but in a smaller format. Don't worry too much. It really looks good!

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 5:29PM
jerzeegirl

That looks really really beautiful to me!

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 7:05PM
Aztec123

Thanks very much for all the feedback! I'm back to being calm about all this. Really think I was channeling frustration with the overall project. I'm sure this will all turn out just fine - it can just be frustrating at times....

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 7:21PM
More Discussions
WWYD - Mosaic tile accents?
Starting to try to figure out some of the decor details...
numbersjunkie
40" for double vanity, any suggestions?
Hi, We are remodeling our bathroom and would like a...
rickyk22
Ledges, niches and shelves
In our first remodel, we did niches (don't like them),...
sjhockeyfan325
Tile install question
I've been posting a lot about our upcoming master bath...
numbersjunkie
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™