Cracks and gaps in bathroom window grout

thebigadMay 12, 2013

Our bathroom has a window in the shower that was sealed with grout. The grout has separated from the window, and in some areas has fallen out. What should I do?

Some advice I have read suggests to remove all the grout around the window and regrout. Others say that grout won't work on the window because the adjoining wall will contract and expand over the year, and I will have the same issue again.

Also, I am not looking to do a major renovation with this problem. I just need a simple, long term solution.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thebigad

Here is a close up

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 9:01PM
thebigad

Here is a close up

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 9:08PM
corgimum

I think silicone caulk is your best option.

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 9:15PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Remove the grout completely and then caulk with a sanded caulk matching your grout. That should be done at every change of plane like the shower corners and where the walls meet the floor.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 3:40PM
thebigad

Hollysprings - what do you mean by change of plane? So, I need to put caulk where two tiled walls meet in corners of the shower? Also, where the tub meets the tiles? Also, where the tub meets the floor?

All of that was grouted by the previous owner. I thought I read somewhere that you don't need to caulk where the tiles meet the tub...

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 1:59PM
Fripp_07

I believe "change of plane" means where that area is not perfectly level. Its sometimes difficult to see with the naked eye. Anywhere that the tile meets another surface, i.e., wall-window, shower wall-to-floor, tub-to-floor, etc. should be caulked. I've had this grout cracking in my shower just below the window sill and removed it and filled it in with a silicone latex caulk that matched my grout color.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 8:43PM
More Discussions
Very Cool - New Porcelanosa Luxury Vinyl Tiles
I would love this for my walls too! And the website...
numbersjunkie
Did anyone buy a Venetian dual system tub from Costco?
I just came across this tub, looks good on paper. It...
abekker
American Standard Vormax Toilet
Does any one have an experience with this toilet? http://www.americanstandard-us.com/vormax/ I...
David
WWYD - Mosaic tile accents?
Starting to try to figure out some of the decor details...
numbersjunkie
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™