Construction adhesive on skin

beenie130December 14, 2007

Does anyone know how to get construction adhesive off skin? I have it on my hands and it is taking days to peel off.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bestyears

Have you tried nail polish remover? Then apply lots of hand cream as soon as you get the adhesive off, otherwise your hands will be super dry...
Lynn

Bookmark   December 15, 2007 at 9:24AM
albert_135

Were I to have this problem I would start by trying WD-40 then, as suggested for nail polish remover wash and apply a hand cream.

Bookmark   December 15, 2007 at 4:50PM
jannie

My Dad used to swear by a product called DL Hand Cleaner. He learned of this product from an auto mechanic friend. It's main ingredient is lanolin. Has a nice smell. I don't know who makes it, this is not spam.

Bookmark   December 15, 2007 at 4:59PM
beenie130

Thanks for the tips. I did try nail polish remover and it didn't do a thing unfortunately. I also bought a heavy duty cleaner at the tool shop but that didn't work either. Basically after about 4 days of scrubbing with an olive oil, sugar mix, it eventually came off. I also had to use the scouring side of a sponge. This stuff does NOT come off. If you ever need to use it, definitely wear gloves!

Thanks again!

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 7:23AM
jobird

The tube of Liquid Nails construction adhesive says:

Clean wet adhesive with mineral spirits or toluene.Remove dry adhesive by scraping.

Construction adhesive is very difficult to remove once it drys on your skin;now two of us have confirmed that ;)

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 10:28AM
horsefarm

COnstruction adhesive is BAD stuff. My husband got some on his little finger several years ago. That patch of skin is still not right. It's like ti suffered a chemical burn.

So, make sure you get it off and don't leave it too long!

Bookmark   December 24, 2007 at 9:43AM
thotrum_gmail_com

I realize I'm almost 3 years late on this, but for anyone coming here in the future, WD-40 works magically for this! Guaranteed.

Bookmark   August 20, 2010 at 3:28PM
steves_fltg_ent

ON the liquid nails site it said to rub the area (a lot) with mineral oil. I used baby oil and a pumice stone and then washed with liquid soap repeated 4 times and got it all!

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 5:47PM
kvat888_yahoo_com

well, I must say, I've tried just about everything. The WD-40 doesn't work, I tried Oops! remover. nothing. gojo seemed to work the best, but don't think that it did the trick because it didn't. I guess I'll just lok like a slob for the next few days, until monday when I use the stuff again.

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 8:39PM
Potluck45

Found the solution quite by accident. Construction adhesive PL from lowes. Big patch on both hands.
Wear nitrile glove/s overnight. Your hands sweat and it comes right off right down to the pores :)

Tried everything to dissolve it. Nothing worked. But the project also called for pouring concrete and I wore nitrile gloves under the work gloves. Took them off at lunch and it was falling off.

Bookmark   September 6, 2014 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
cleaning a burnt-on material from gas fireplace glass
Help! Something ( material unknown) burnt onto the...
clancyspad
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™