granite on vanity - hard to keep clean?

mboston_gwMay 10, 2010

I am thinking about getting granite as my master bathroom countertop. I love my kitchen granite - light butterfly jade. Its not too bad to keep up , just the water marks around the fixtures.

However, I am concerned with the bathroom since my DH and I both use hairspray. I have to clean my laminate with a bathroom cleaner then use Windex to make it feel smooth and look shiny. I wonder if that would be too hard to keep clean in the bathroom. I probably would choose a light color granite, maybe something with a coral in it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
qdwag

Not a problem at all..My W uses a hairspray and i have no problem with cleaning the granite..

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 9:43PM
annkathryn

No issue with my Costa Esmeralda.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 11:33PM
monicakm_gw

Not a problem with my Giallo Ornamentale. I mostly clean with a 50/50 mixture of water/alcohol and microfiber cloth. Every now and then I use a granite polish. I get hairspray overspray too. It wipes right off. If you're getting a temporary discoloration around your faucets in the kitchen, your granite isn't sealed properly or not sealed at all. If you choose a light color for the bathroom, you'll want to be sure to get it and keep it sealed.
Monica

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 12:25AM
mboston_gw

Its not a discoloration on my kitchen granite, its more of a hard water build up. I use the steel wool that is like really soft (0000_) and it removes it.

The overspray is from an aerosal can not the pump type. I wonder if that makes a difference. I know we shouldn't use aerosal cans but DH doesn't like the pump type.

Qdwag - love your comment that YOU don't have any problems cleaning the granite. So you do the cleaning? I think that's great!

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 11:24AM
monicakm_gw

Don't know if it makes a difference either but my hairspray is an aerosol can as well.
Monica

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 4:07PM
creek_side

No problems with Crema Bordeaux.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 10:44PM
janwad

I have Black Galaxy in the kitchen and wouldn't do it in the bath. I clean the kitchen daily anyway, and it's very visible and very worthwhile to keep clean because I love seeing it.

I don't (sorry!) clean the bath counters daily. Spots would show build up and show.

I have a busy granite in the powder room and have no spots whatsoever to worry about, no hairspray problem either. I'm just bought another busy remnant for the master bath.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 11:00AM
More Discussions
Quality manufacturer of bathroom fixtures?
We would like to purchase the best quality for a low...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Shower Size OK?
We're in the middle of a renovation of our master suite...
ntrainer
Help locating a Powder Bath sink, please!
We are in the final days of a year long remodel only...
soonermagicmama
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
Anyone have Swanstone shower base?
I was able to dig up the technical/testing specs for...
cataan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™