How can I clean a selfcleaning oven?

beaglencDecember 21, 2009

I have Kenmore gas range and the controls-start and stop time- are broken and I need to be able to use them in order to clean the oven. The stove is about 22 years old and everything else is fine. Could I use Easy Off to clean it?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

Most self cleaning ovens are manual or self clean. I see no reason that you couldn't clean it with easy off. The inside of a self cleaning oven and manual clean ovens is the same. The difference is in the controls and wiring and you are not touching that. If you have the manual that came with the oven it would tell you for sure.

The main point is that unless you plan on getting it fixed and if you are planning on keeping the oven, what have you got to lose by cleaning it with easy off.

Bookmark   December 21, 2009 at 8:17PM
skohrs

I don't like to use the "self clean" option on our stove, as it makes the house stink up, no matter how clean or dirty it was in the first place.

I easy off it all the time! But you have to get the easy off that is made for self cleaning ovens.

Spray it on, let it sit for an hour and plop your bottom on the floor with a bunch of rags and wipe it out.

It comes clean so quick!

It works great for the racks as well. I do however suggest that if you spray them, do it outside and put down some newspapers, you WILL kill your grass or make nasty marks on the drive.

Best of luck to you and happy cleaning!!!

P.S. It takes much less time than using the self clean option, where you still wind up having to follow up with more wiping and cleaning out anyway.

: )

Bookmark   December 28, 2009 at 8:38PM
jannie

I have a gas oven with self-cleaning setting but I don't like using it. It gets super-hot, makes lots of smoke and once staerted a small fire in a potholder. I now use Easy off cool oven spray on spots as they appear.

Bookmark   January 1, 2010 at 9:32AM
More Discussions
Carpet Cleaning: Can it Ruin the Carpet?
I've never had a professional carpet cleaning, but...
Cassandra
How to Clean a Disgusting Plastic Shower Floor
I have purchased a property that has what I believer...
lgal63
Anyone have this problem with their BONA floor mop?
My BONA floor mop has no trigger pizazz (for lack of...
kaisermust
Clean a clouded shower door
Tenants have left a glass shower door a true mess....
yaker2
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Sponsored Products
36" Brass Reeded Stair Rod
Signature Hardware
Hartland 15" High Oil-Rubbed Bronze Wall Sconce
$39.98 | Lamps Plus
Ion Chandelier Pendant
Lightology
Fresca Torino 84" Espresso Modern Double Sink Bathroom Vanity with 3 Side Cabine
Modern Bathroom
Minka Lavery | Artemis Ceiling Fan
YLiving.com
Z-Lite Bronze Caged Glass 3-light Semi-flush Mount Fixture
Overstock.com
Sonneman | Dichroix™ Surface Mount Ceiling Light
$490.00 | YLighting
Besa Baaz 19 3/4" High Satin Nickel Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™