Pre-oiled solid hardwood with in floor heat?

jill430April 18, 2014

Hello, this is my first time posting in the building a home forum. Our new construction has hot water in floor heat and we are looking for suitable flooring. We have a small child, a 20lb dog and a 100lb dog. We realize whatever we choose will get scratched but we are hoping to find something that will hide the scratches well and can be repaired in the future. We have been advised to go with engineered hardwood rather than solid but we are concerned about how it will hold up with pets and small children. We found a couple of solid hardwood products (Ancestral Pre-Oiled Floors by BSL Wood Products and Intemporel Pre-Oiled Floors by Alexandra Parquets). The retailer told us pre-oiled solid flooring is ok for installation with in floor heat because the floor is not sealed and can "breath". I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of floor? Is it a bad idea to use it over in floor heat? Is an oiled hardwood more prone to scratches? We would go with a hard maple or perhaps oak. Thank you!

This post was edited by JillianL on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 19:55

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jill430

I should add that the wood flooring would be for the living room, dining room and upstairs. We plan on using tile for the kitchen, bathrooms and entry areas.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 7:57PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Recipe for disaster. Read the manufacturer's installation instructions instead of relying on a salesman. You need engineered, and something with a real finish. And keep your dogs nails clipped weekly.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 10:11AM
jill430

Thanks Hollysprings, I suspected it might be a bad idea. The manufacturers installation instructions state that the floor is warranted for installation over in floor radiant heat providing their instructions are followed but I was still nervous. What do you consider a real finish? I know scratches can't be avoided with dogs but some of the samples we've looked at leave white marks where scratched which are super noticeable. Do you know if that is more likely with certain finishes?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ancestral Pre-oiled Flooring Installation Guide

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 11:53AM
worthy

Some engineered flooring is not suitable over hydronic heating. Same for solid hardwood.

That's why you must read the manufacturer's instructions and make sure the installer follows them to a T.

Here is a link that might be useful: This Old House Norm Abrams answers a question on flooring

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 4:48PM
jill430

Thank you for the link and your advice Worthy. I guess I am worried that even with following the recommended installation procedures this combination might not be a good idea. I was hoping there might be someone out there with experience with this combination of flooring and heating system in their home that could tell me if they had any issues. Or even just with pre-oiled flooring and pets/kids. Maybe I will try cross posting in the flooring forum. Thank you both again!

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 12:02AM
More Discussions
It's March 2015: How is your build progressing?
Zorro-anyone can start one. :) Link to It's February...
autumn.4
Please critique floor plan, thanks!
I posted a similar plan Oct. last year and got some...
czyk1234
New here. Please critique my house plan sketch, thanks
Hello. We are a family of 5 hoping to build a house...
angeliquereagan
building over an old leach field
Perhaps this is county specific, but I was talking...
divine_serenity_gw
Master bath/closet suggestions
My wife and I are planning on building a house. We...
stancial
Sponsored Products
Kenroy Home Castillo Portable Outdoor Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
White - 16" x 16"
Grandin Road
Franklin Oil Burnished Bronze Outdoor Wall Mounted Light
$128.00 | Bellacor
Real Simple Swingarm Wall Sconce by Robert Abbey
$130.90 | Lumens
Rolling Elegance Sofa Bed in Dark Gray
Dot & Bo