BlueStar owners--lube your door!

chairthrowerMay 28, 2012

I have a 3 year old BlueStar and I love it, and yes, the oven door was starting to get hard to open. I had never lubricated the hinges.

Well, I went and Googled "food safe high temperature grease" and I bought the first result, even though it's a pound of grease and cost close to $30 with shipping. I realized $30 for grease for a stove that costs well over 100 times that, and will last the life of the stove, is a worthwhile investment.

Just a smear on the hinges and operate the door a few times, and it was better than new. The door opens easily and completely, yet doesn't feel loose either. And I have enough grease I'm not going to feel bad about doing it every few months.

I don't know what the requirements are for the V1 and newer stoves, but if you have an older BlueStar, keeping the hinges lubricated is a cheap and simple thing to do. I know there have been stuck door problems on this forum, and I think I was heading toward that in a few months if I hadn't taken action.

So consider this a public service announcement. Lube your door. I don't care if you think you shouldn't, or that other manufacturers say you don't need to lube their doors. If you need to, just do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: High temperature food safe grease

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mojavean

Unless you have already had your door replaced by Bluestar, you still have the old hinge design which was prone to lockups. There is a roller bearing mounted on a pin that must slide in and out of a slot. The problem, as reported, was that this pin seizes up in the slot. I have not experienced the problem with my range, but if I do, I am contacting Bluestar for the oven door fix. If I were you, I would call BS and have them send you the new design, which reportedly eliminates the problem.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 2:46PM
alexrander

The grease doesn't last in my experience. Even with recent silicone grease on the hinges my door would lock up. Higher temps make it progressively worse.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 9:19PM
tyguy

Chairthrower: I'm glad you have had success with the lube but even cheaper than the lube is to contact bs and they will send you a new door with new hinge design for $0

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 7:28AM
tyguy

Chairthrower: I'm glad you have had success with the lube but even cheaper than the lube is to contact bs and they will send you a new door with new hinge design for $0

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 12:24PM
tyguy

Crap...my smartphone did it again! Sorry for the double post. At least I think I figured out how/why its happening now.

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 12:33PM
dodge59

Did you give your smartphone an IQ or memory test?

Unsigned

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 8:16PM
buffalotina

chairthrower: I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but the grease you mentioned has a spec of 300 F which in my book is not high temp. When I was lubing my Bluestar door I used Haynes 500 plus in spray form which is rated up to 500 F ( see link). I had no problems with my door but as a preventative I did take advantage of the Bluestar replacement door policy so now I have the newer door with the updated hinges and I am not having to lube any more. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Haynes 500 Plus Grease

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 10:01PM
More Discussions
Gaggenau or Miele combi steam oven?
We are renovating our kitchen and are planning on a...
Treblemaker
cancer warning on kitchenaid dw
New kitchenaid dishwasher manual has warnings for chemicals...
kickball
Need Advice on Best Gas Range/Cooktop for Short Person
I will be getting either a new gas cooktop or a dual-fuel...
yaupon
48" Wolf, Thermador or Bluestar...or something else?
Looking into purchasing a 48" range. Wolf: Classic....
wren21
Help Me Choose A Wall Oven
I have a Gaggenau 24" inch convection oven over...
heron3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™