Remove hard water stains on black granite

tinanDecember 9, 2010

Any tips for removing hard water stains on black granite? I contacted a granite care/sales place and they sold me a product specific for this problem - it smelled awful and didn't work. I tried scrubbing, doesn't seem to be helping.

I also have tried to wipe up and water as soon as it spills but in the bathroom there always seems to be some splashed on the counter that escapes me!

Any tips for preventing further stains is also appreciated :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clt3

I don't have black, but I've used a single edged razor blade.

Bookmark   December 10, 2010 at 7:43AM
nerdyshopper

I don't have granite but it seems to me that any product like "Scrubbing Bubbles" or "Scrub Free" that removes soap scum should remove hard water stains. For quick wipe ups my step daughter-in-law uses Windex. It seems to be a universal light duty solvent that does good but won't do harm.

Bookmark   December 10, 2010 at 12:38PM
westvillager

Is it sealed? How long since it was resealed? (I always get asked that - which makes sense b/c it's the best hope for a barrier.) There are overnight poultice treatments that can pull out some stains. They can be purchased or mixed yourself at a hardware store or home depot place.

Stone is pretty easily etched, so I tend to start gentle/ph neutral, then work my way up.

Bookmark   December 10, 2010 at 4:12PM
MollyMay

I have the same problem. I have black granite in my guest bath. I have water stains I can not get out. I use the swiffer spray for granite and it makes less noticiable but is still there. Scrubbing, bubbles, windex and alcohol
stone cleaners. Those are what I have tried. Haven't worked. If you find anything that works please post.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 5:02PM
krissie55

Black granite is usually a very hard granite that does need to be sealed.

Have you tried vinegar? Do not leave vinegar soaking on the granite. Vinegar removes lime deposits on windows. Also you might try "Gel-Gloss" found at Home Depot or Lowes building supply stores.

Check with your water department and ask if the water contains high levels of "silicone". Silicone cannot be removed as a rule.

Water in Los Alamos, N.M. contains silicone and nothing will remove it.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 9:24PM
kerrbear65

I use a dampened magic eraser

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
Home library is musty smelling
I have a wall, floor to ceiling, of built in bookshelves...
liseebird
Using same vacuum for outside lanai and off white carpet???????
I have one vacuum. It is a Shark Robot. I need to...
mizsusan
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
40 Mule Team Borax
I have used Borax for many years. The last 3 boxes...
reader77
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™