cleaning a burnt-on material from gas fireplace glass

clancyspadDecember 13, 2007

Help! Something ( material unknown) burnt onto the outside of the fireplace glass. It is about 6 inches by 2 inches and has the texture of burnt plastic. I suspect it may have been a bag but I still don't know. I tried Goo gone with no luck.

any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chinacat_sunflower

can you get the glass out? oven cleaner works like a charm, but it's a mess if you get it on anything else.

a lower-impact method to get burnt-on things off of glass or metal is to drape it in wet fabric softener sheets (a piece of saran wrap taped over it to keep it damp, if the glass doesn't come out) overnight.

after that, your only resort is a hard plastic scraper, then a 'widget' - a single-edged razor blade in a holder.

Bookmark   December 13, 2007 at 4:14PM
magothyrivergirl

Try a microfiber cloth with water and lots of gentle rubbing when the glass is completely cold.
It is probably not "glass" and is a high heat ceramic - I would not remove it or use anything harsh.
DH stuck his foot on ours last year (dumb!!!) and his sock burnt / melted immediately. Over the summer when the glass was completely cold (pilot light turned off) I was able to remove the mark completely.

Bookmark   December 14, 2007 at 10:43AM
mcfromct

I would try a razor blade. We purchased a glass-top stove/oven and it's literally the only way to get it completely clean on the surface when something drips onto it and burns onto the glass. I bet it will work...

Bookmark   December 16, 2007 at 7:56AM
KatieO4444

I know this forum is pretty old, but as a means of update - this just happened to me (melted sock on fireplace glass ... oy). I waited until the glass was cool enough to touch (it was still warm) and made a paste out of baking soda and water. The paste was pretty thick. I scrubbed with a back and forth motion, and I was able to rub the burnt material off within a few minutes. Wanted to share my success!

1 Like    Bookmark   November 29, 2013 at 12:04PM
jk171400

My son melted his sweatshirt onto the glass on our gas fireplace. It was an under armour plastic/polyester type. I tried everything on the internet goo gone nail pol. remover oven cleaner baking soda etc. Here is the only thing that works and it works great! Use a heat gun on low setting don't have one..get one they come in handy. get a new razor blade paint scraper with the holder for better control. heat a 3/4 inch by 3/4 inch at a time area for about 30 seconds then carefully scrape with razor blade. continue each small area until done. Worked great!

Bookmark   on Sunday at 1:29PM
More Discussions
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Coffee Pot. How to clean?
It's thermal. But I can't get the coffee stains out....
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
Pro Carpet Cleaning: Chemdry vs Steamer vs ??
Looking for a carpet cleaning service that does a good...
jsfox
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™