restuffing back couch cushions

ctstarDecember 30, 2009

Hi there! I hope someone can help me.; I have a couch and the cushons on the back you lean against have pretty much destuffed. Most of the stuffing has just sank to the bottom and the pillows look terrible. I want to know what I can ust to restuff them. There are two. Has anyone ever done this before?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

It would help if one could see what they are like. Can you unzip them and see what is in them now? If it's sunk to the bottom it is probably foam chips that have disntegrated.

It really depends on the look you are going for. If they are square cushions I would go for 4 or 5 inch solid foam. Memory foam is best with a single or double wrap of quilt batting. If you want them poofy, go for a narrower memory foam base and wrap in quilt batting with smaller pieces of batting inserted until you get the shape you want.

Bookmark   December 30, 2009 at 6:14PM
sheilajoyce_gw

I had down stuffed back pillows on one couch, and I did not like how the feathers all sunk to the bottom even while sitting on the couch. I felt the wider pillow bottom pushed me out of the couch and the pillows had to be fluffed constantly. I had the down removed and solid foam put in the pillows, much to the consternation of the man who sold it to me.

Bookmark   December 30, 2009 at 7:03PM
eteinne

I did this years ago when I didn't have much $ I was given a 2 year old, custom made sofa . It had down back cushions. I hated them. I went to JCPS and purchased pillow protectors, with the zipper. I filled them with shredded foam as it was the cheapest for me at the time and wrapped it in solid foam. They were hard to slide in so I bought cheap satin pillow cases to cover the foam and they just slid right in. If you plan on using solid foam and have to cut to fit use an electric knife, with little pressure and let the knife do the work. You will get a straight edge this way. This also works to cut Styrafoam for a clean edge.

Bookmark   December 31, 2009 at 7:07AM
curbdiver1954

You can also use plastic garbage bags to help slide foam into a cushion. Split the bag down 1 side, lay the foam inside it, slide the plastic covered foam into the cushion. Then just pull on the side you didn't cut and the bag slides right out. Might take a bit of manuvering the first time you try, but easy to get the hang of!

Bookmark   January 2, 2010 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
Anyone have this problem with their BONA floor mop?
My BONA floor mop has no trigger pizazz (for lack of...
kaisermust
cleaning a black granite sink
I am new to this forum and after enjoying scrolling...
debpoll9
Dishes smell 'fishy' after dishwasher
All my dishes and flatware have a funky sort of odor...
michelle_phxaz
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
Jetted Tub Cleaning - I'm at my end point!
Hello everyone, I know this subject has been posted...
Auroras_Envy
Sponsored Products
Darlee Santa Barbara Bench Glider with Sesame Patio Seat Cushion
$734.99 | Hayneedle
Cebu Five-Piece Wicker Patio Set
$2,299.99 | zulily
Princeton Dining Outdoor Side Chair, Patio Furniture
$373.00 | FRONTGATE
Oversized Chevron Outdoor Pillow
Grandin Road
Toscano Dining Chairs (Set of 2) - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture