Cleaning the "holes" in the BA sink drainpipe

colorcrazyDecember 16, 2012

I have tried several things, but nothing works, so I am hoping that some of you have ideas. In our bathroom sink drainpipe, about an inch below the opening, there are holes. Apparently there is a space in there for whatever reason. The problem is that mine is full of black gunk, and I can't get it out. I have tried a small bottle brush and a pipe cleaner, but didn't have much luck. The bottle brush got a little bit out.

Any success stories? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Have you tried using the homemade drain cleaner solution of baking soda, hot water and vinegar?

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 1:39PM
jannie

Dump half a box of baking soda in the drain, then pour in a quart bottle of any kind of vinegar (I like clear). It will fizzle a lot, when it settles run lots and lots of hot water.I got this tip from my plumber. He said doing this once a week will maintain your sink. I do it probably once in 2 months.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 8:53AM
colorcrazy

Thanks, that works for the main pipe/drain, but this is around the sides. Will have to find a way to get the baking powder and vinegar in there, I guess.

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 4:59PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

Inquire at a good hardware store where there are helpful clerks. Ask for a small circular bronze or brass tube brush. You might find what you need in the sporting good section as a gun cleaning brush.

Here is a link that might be useful: Long Brass Tube Brush

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 7:42AM
llaatt22

I think you are describing the four outlets into the basin drainpipe from the sink's overflow system.
These drain holes tend to catch debris and sometimes build up slime mold over time.
Cleaning them is a three step process.

First, you try to determine if you have enough flow by filling the sink and allowing the overflow outlet to cope with your normal tap settings. If OK then drain sink:
The next step involves plugging the sink drain and the small overflow drains with something like a pill bottle wrapped in a plastic shopping bag to stop all draining. Then fill up the overflow system with a sanitizing bleach solution and leave for 10 minutes or so. You might want to have some water in the basin to avoid bleach staining from any spillage.
Then pull the pill bottle and let everything drain.
If any loose clumps show up just pick away at them gradually over time with a small screwdriver.
Don't get aggressive with anything that might be a sealant.
Soap scum and slime mold are greasy and other stuff tends to resemble wet cardboard so doing it every week or two for a few months plus sending hot water down the over flow from a full basin should take care of the problem.

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
Urine stain on rug from dog
My sweet doggie has tinkled two different times on...
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
Using same vacuum for outside lanai and off white carpet???????
I have one vacuum. It is a Shark Robot. I need to...
mizsusan
Cuisinart Stainless Steel Coffee Pot. How to clean?
It's thermal. But I can't get the coffee stains out....
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™