lighting around surface mounted medicine cabinet

CJBoncheyMay 29, 2014

I am finally remodeling my tiny (4x9) master bathroom. I have made all decisions except for the lighting in the vanity area. I have purchased a surface mounted Kohler mirrored medicine cabinet that is 20 inches wide and 30 inches tall and it is 4.75 inches deep. The medicine cabinet will be mounted over a 24 inch wide vanity (image attached).

After much research, I know that I want LED lighting with a CRI of at least 90. I am having great difficulty in finding a light fixture that extends out farther than my vanity, that is modern, bright enough, and affordable. I have found a couple sconces that I really like (Elemental dwelLed 13 inch bath light), but they only extend out 3 inches from the wall (medicine cabinet extends 4.75 inches). Is there a way that I can have these installed without having the medicine cabinet block the light? Will the distance from the medicine cabinet help? How far?

I have other options if I want lighting over the top of the medicine cabinet, but I still run into the issue of finding something that will extend out further from the medicine cabinet. Again, will the distance help?

If I have a 20 inch wide medicine cabinet, would it be bad to have a 22 inch wide light fixture (Elemental dwelLed 22 inch bath light) over it?

Clearly I need help in this area.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

I see that you will have 2236 lumens with that fixture. It might not be enough. I have 2 fixtures at about 1600 lumens each (3200 total) and it is a little dull. I think it may be due to the thick-ish frosted shade. I have another bathroom with 2250 lumens and it seems to be better lighting. Different fixtures though, and both of mine are halogen. But Lumens are lumens I believe. If you are in doubt would you be able to use 2 fixtures and put them on either side of the cabinet? You could put it on a dimmer too. I really think your vanity/sink is a cute setup.

Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 9:19PM
CJBonchey

putting one on each side of the mirror it's definitely a possibility. Thanks for that idea

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 10:38PM
homepro01

How about the span light from tech lighting?

Here is a link that might be useful: Span Lighting

Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 10:44PM
CJBonchey

Thanks for the suggestion! unfortunately, the Span only has 80 CRI and at least 90 CRI is recommended for vanity area lighting. Also, I am not sure how the 24 inch Span would look over a 20 inch wide medicine cabinet.

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 12:05PM
enduring

The 24 inch that homepro01 posted didn't have as many lumens as your selection if I recall when I looked. I like the light you have picked out. And I would go for lumens, lots of lumens :)

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 12:51PM
More Discussions
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
What is really new in bathroom renovating?
Although I'm more a retro/classic kind of person, I'm...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
Need advice on shower valve location!!!
We are considering a fixed wall or glass divider for...
aboutdabass
help choosing modern recessed lighting.
Oh my goodness this seems to be the hardest part of...
Edie Nicosia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™