How to prevent glass etching in the dishwasher

shelly_kDecember 29, 2009

I have read various threads here on this issue. I have drinking glasses from Target that are only 6 months old and I just noticed that they are starting to etch. :( I am not happy -- I love these glasses and now they look terrible!

We have soft water and I have been using Cascade tablets with rinse aid.

From what I've read on here, the possible solutions to prevent further etching are:

*Use less detergent

*Use cheap detergent

*Use powdered detergent, not liquid or tabs

*Don't use heated dry

*Don't prerinse dishes -- the dirtier the dishes, the better.

So, anyone else have any ideas? I am almost out of detergent so I will probably try some powdered cheap stuff and maybe less of it. I just hope it still cleans my dishes!

And I guess I will buy some more drinking glasses to replace these. I can't stand looking at cloudy filmy glasses!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter

If you want to keep your glasses cloud free wash them by hand.
The combination of very hot water and the detergents in dishwasher detergents will eventually cloud all glassware.

Now some of those things you mentioned may work for a while for glasses but will they get the rest of your dishes clean--I simply don't know.

Bookmark   December 29, 2009 at 2:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135

Go to a nearby bar and order a drink, a soft drink if you prefer, and watch the bartender for awhile. They just dip the glasses in a wash and then a rinse to two. Ask the bartender. They will give you information in hopes of a small gratuity.

Bookmark   December 29, 2009 at 2:44PM
More Discussions
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
Red wine on wall - help!
Hi. We just finished our major kitchen remodel (thank...
nicole93089
Home library is musty smelling
I have a wall, floor to ceiling, of built in bookshelves...
liseebird
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™