Shower Bench AGAIN - Now worried about mold

winesnobMay 1, 2012

Okay, finally the day has come - cutting tile and about to tile the shower. I have been trying to decide on the shower bench. When you enter my shower the bench will be right in front of you and then you turn to go into shower. I was thinking of an 18" high and about 30" long for bench. What are you thoughts. Also I just read that shower benches should be made out of concrete blocks, not wood, which end up causing mold in the long haul....Grout cracks and water seeps in to wood. Now I am trying to call my GC, no way do I want mold anywhere. Any advice. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catbuilder

It is true that water will penetrate grout. Tile is also not waterproof. That is why you need to use waterproofing of some sort in the whole shower, not just the bench. You can use plastic behind the substrate (cement backer board or mud, but never green drywall). Or you can use something on top of the substrate, such as a membrane like kerdi or a liquid like hydroban. If you use kerdi, you can use regular drywall instead of backer board.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 7:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

We did our shower surround in corian and made the bench out of corian to match...open underneath with a waterproof light that shines out from under the bench for ambient lighting while steaming. Had to create a frame for the corian as by itself it is not structural. Corian matches the corian sink and counters we used in the bath...Egyptian copper.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 8:28PM
More Discussions
Bathroom
Walls are blue with red and royal blue towels white...
bobbyfly1
No door to bathroom
We are picking our interior doors out tomorrow. I like...
holcombe3
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
AHMIowa_NJ
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™