Sickley sweet odor in used dressers I bought

bigdogloverDecember 12, 2008

I bought a pair of used Drexel bachelor's chests from a store in Georgia. They are probably from the 50's, 60's or 70's. Bought them online and had them shipped.

I love them but the drawer interiors have that sweet bad smell that clothes sometimes get when they hang too long unused in the closet. I hate that smell!

Do you think there is a product that will get this out? Otherwise I will rough up the drawer interiors with sandpaper and wipe on a coat of Bartley's gel varnish.

Thanks. Am posting this on furniture forum too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

If it is dry in your area right now, take the draws outside and leave them in the fresh air and sunshine during the day for a few days. I would try that before doing anything more difficult.

Bookmark   December 12, 2008 at 1:12PM
bigdoglover

Graywings, it is dry and sunny (and cold) out today, so out they go on to the deck! Thanks much.

Any idea what caused this odor? (Or don't I want to know?)

Bookmark   December 12, 2008 at 1:19PM
graywings123

Oh, it could be caused by anything from perfume to cigars to who-knows-what they stored in that thing.

I recently helped my MIL start to clean out her basement, and one of the things we did was empty a dresser of lingerie, gloves and other items. We threw most everything away, but I saved a couple pairs of gloves and they have a funky sweet odor.

Bookmark   December 12, 2008 at 4:29PM
dilly_dally

In the olden days women liked to use sachets and scented drawer liners. It was popular to store scented soap in drawers to delicately scent lingerie. Or tuck a perfumed scarf in the drawer with sweaters. Mothballs were used too.

The sunlight and fresh air trick will help. I've heard that storing crumpled newspapers in the drawer for a while pull out the scent. Charcoal works best.

Bookmark   December 12, 2008 at 9:53PM
jannie

I think sun and fresh air work best. Good luck.

Bookmark   December 13, 2008 at 12:01PM
bigdoglover

Thanks all, was gone all day and couldn't get a thing done, but will tackle this early next week again and let you know what worked.

Bookmark   December 14, 2008 at 12:06AM
mommabird

I had this problem with a dresser from the 1940's. I took all the drawers out and left them in the sun all day for about a week straight. It did the trick - but it was hot summer when I did it, I don't know if it would work the same in the winter.

Bookmark   December 14, 2008 at 10:41PM
bigdoglover

Mommabird, this makes me think my dressers may be older than I thought. I might have to wait for summer. I think the Texas sun and heat would definitely bake the blank out of that odor.

Bookmark   December 15, 2008 at 7:19AM
More Discussions
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
silk comforter cleaning
I purchased 2 silk conforters in China 2 years ago,...
JudyC1949
Castile Soap Dilemma
This has probably been gone over, but I would like...
harlowolivia
Dishes smell 'fishy' after dishwasher
All my dishes and flatware have a funky sort of odor...
michelle_phxaz
cleaning a black granite sink
I am new to this forum and after enjoying scrolling...
debpoll9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™