strange black dust/soot on new toilet seat

sji9600December 11, 2011

Hi everyone,

I know this sounds strange, but in all 3 of my brand new bathrooms, there is a strange black film, almost soot like that keeps appearing on toilet seats and white "wooden" shutters. At first I thought it was the residue from the smoke of candles that were lit, but we stopped with the candles and it keeps reappearing. It is almost as if this dust like substance is being pulled toward smooth, plastic like finishes.

Has anyone ever seen this?? It wipes up easily, but still strange. Any thoughts on what is causing it and how to clean/treat surfaces so it doesn't reappear?

Thank you.

Andrea

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krissie55

Sounds like something is oxidizing on the surfaces.

The plastic ridged shelf paper will oxidize and do that. Maybe there is something about the finish on the toilet seats and shutters that is doing the same thing.

Just a thought.

Bookmark   December 11, 2011 at 3:42PM
sji9600

Thanks, Krissie, but I don't think so.

On some other sites, there was discussions of similar black soot. Other thoughts were residue from candle smoke, and also dirt from construction now coming through hvac vents. Also, possible soot from oil burner in basement.
Candles have been ruled out. Other thoughts are somewhat scary - does this mean this stuff is in the air and we are inhaling it???

Bookmark   December 11, 2011 at 7:41PM
arkansas_girl

Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? That would be my main concern above anything else. If no candles then I'm at a loss other than CM. The black soot is a common sign of CM and since you use oil as your heating source, that would be a concern.

Bookmark   December 12, 2011 at 8:42AM
arkansas_girl

I also thought about this, do you have a fireplace? That will do it too...

Bookmark   December 12, 2011 at 8:53AM
sji9600

Mystery solved.... I am writing from the hotel where my family will be staying for a week while all the fine soot throughout my house is being cleaned and a new boiler is being installed. Water cutoff failed and fire burned through back of boiler. The black dust was in fact soot coming up from basement. Call it foreshadowing. Thankfully we did have cm detectors and good insurance! We are taking this opportunity to convert to gas.

Bookmark   December 16, 2011 at 11:31PM
graywings123

OMG!!

Bookmark   December 17, 2011 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
HELP! Clear Glass Shower Doors w/ hard water stains
I have extremely hard water and have clear glass shower...
kristinamaria
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
How to rid house of dog smell
I'm doing a temporary rental (sold my house finally...
lisa77429
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™