black dust in house

freebird77December 2, 2007

Hi we are noticing a lot of what Id cll black dust on just about everything. Its not like dust though really, its on the walls lamps furniture everything. Its on the mail thats sits on the desk for a couple weeks its almost like a dark stain, cant wipe it of like regular dust. Does anyone have any ideas, or have had similar problems? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
reeree_natural

freebird77
OMG! Do you have a carbon monoxide detector?? Call you local fire dept. right now!! The same thing happened to my mom two years ago.. she had a back puff from her oil burner, she was finding everything covered in "black dust" then a few days later, her CM detector went off..the fire dept. came and she had high levels of carbon monoxide in her houseÂ. Please let me know you are ok!!!! Please call your fire dept. and have it checked out, it may not be the same as what happened to my mom, but better to be safe than sorry
Ree

    Bookmark   December 2, 2007 at 11:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
reeree_natural

bump..

I am hoping freebird reads this asap

    Bookmark   December 2, 2007 at 4:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
reeree_natural

BUMP

    Bookmark   December 2, 2007 at 10:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
reeree_natural

freebird77
Are you OK?? Can you drop a note here and let me know you read my post to you..I would feel so much better if you did. Thanks
Ree

    Bookmark   December 3, 2007 at 9:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
reeree_natural

bump

    Bookmark   December 3, 2007 at 7:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
auburnfan

It might not be CM. We had this all over our last 2 houses even though we are very anal about cleanliness. I looked on the internet, and I think it might have been caused by burning candles. We LOVE scented candles and burn them a lot. We always had a CM detector, so I knew it wasn't that.

Do you burn candles? In our new house, we're going to use warmers or soy candles. :-(

    Bookmark   December 3, 2007 at 10:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
virginiacouple147

I agree that the culprit might be candles. I burned a candle once that left a black residue on everything - you couldn't necessarily see it on things (like the white cabinets) but once I discovered it on a few things, I started checking everything and sure enough that stupid candle did it! I was so mad.
I no longer burn candles very much, if at all really. I did read however that if you cut a wick short before lighting it then the candle won't smoke as much. I also think it probably has something to do with the quality of the candle.

Good luck

    Bookmark   December 6, 2007 at 9:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

This is why the Vatican doesn't burn candles in the Sistine Chapel - the smoke was damaging the ceiling that Michelangelo painted.

    Bookmark   December 7, 2007 at 9:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bud_wi

Black soot could be coming from candles. I have experienced that and it is the reason I no longer burn candles. It gets everywhere even in rooms that did not have candles.

It could be what reeeree said. I experienced that in an apartment I rented once. A new manager did not maintain the oil burning heat system correctly.

I really wish posters would return to follow up on their questions and not leave everyone hanging and worrying.

BUMP

    Bookmark   December 11, 2007 at 10:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
reeree_natural

bud_wi
Thanks for posting that.. Freebird had me really worried. What she wrote did not sound like it was from candles. Not all over the house like that. My mom had the same thing. .she is lucky to be alive today thanks to her carbon monoxide detector . I just hope she is ok, after writing a post like that you would think she would just let us know everything is fine. I may be way off hopefully, but better to be safe than sorry. If that same exact thing didnÂt happen to my mom, I wouldnÂt of even thought of that ..but I learned from her experience and felt it was an important possibility to pass it on.
Thanks for your concern!
Happy Holidays
Ree

    Bookmark   December 15, 2007 at 10:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mcfromct

We've had that happen to us but I believe it is from using our attic fan. It pulls in air from outside and I think only the tiniest of particles can get in through the screens and it happens to be darker in color? It probably also pulls minute little particles/soot from our fireplace into the house. We have carbon monoxide detectors too and that was never the issue but freebird should check anyway!

    Bookmark   December 15, 2007 at 1:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bud_wi

I do hope the black soot problem got taken care of and turned out to be nothing more than a mere quirk with the pellet stove that Doug/freebird77 installed last July.

If not maybe his relatives can hack his PW here and let his online buddies know how he is recovering. I hope Taps is not in order. He has not posted anything in any forum since the 12/2 post, although he was not a prolific poster before that either.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pellet Stove Post

    Bookmark   December 28, 2007 at 7:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweetgirl551_yahoo_com

I have black dust that is thick on my ceiling fans and then black particals that are on my counter tops, and anything plastic in my apartment. I havent burned a candle in a long time and it seems to be getting worse. There is a closet by where my air filter and stuff is and everything in that closet has black stuff on it. The carpet where the door closes is thick and black and is hard to remove. WHAT IS THIS BLACK STUFF???!!!

    Bookmark   February 2, 2011 at 3:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arkansas_girl

I'd guess Carbon Monoxide build up very dangerous or from candles. I can't think of anything else it would be. Maybe the fireplace? I bought a really smokey candle and before I knew it the whole darn house was covered in a black film after only a couple hours! UGH!

    Bookmark   February 3, 2011 at 3:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
granite-girl

Am wondering too, what happened to freebird77 ?

    Bookmark   February 3, 2011 at 4:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caminnc

I know if you have a gas fireplace insert and the settings on it are not set right it will cause a black film to get on anything around it and even on walls upstairs. I don't know if it has anything to do with carbon monoxide or not.

    Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 9:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barbara1taylor

Where do you live, because if your windows are close to the street it can be from the outside.

    Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 2:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msi9670

I agree with the candle answer..Especially the scented ones..We use to burn them a lot and as soon as we stopped the black dust stopped

    Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 4:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lgeter4_gmail_com

I looked up the forum because I have been renting this home for three months now. I notices black dust on my babies white items at first. I would clean it and the next day the dust was on it again.I mainly notice it on plastic items. Made me nervous because I have a newborn in the house. I do burn candles a lot because I love the smell but I have burned candles at my old house and I never noticed black dust until this house. I have ADT and there fire detector and I believe it has the carbon monoxide detector as well. what should I do my main concern is making sure it isn't affecting my 1 month old baby.

    Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 10:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moonsprite021_hotmail_com

My husband and I just moved. We no longer have central air so we use window units and have a couple of fans. We keep having to clean thick black dust from the filters and fans. It stains the plastic fan blades. I burn and make a lot of candles, but have never had an issue with black dust before. I am very anal about cleaning and have to clean these items at least once a week and it still gets pretty thick.

    Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 1:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SharperClean

The black dust may be due to deteriorating duct liner materials in your heater or air conditioner and in some cases your cold air returns. It may alternatively be due to soot produced from candles. Soot deposition is most likely to occur on wall and ceiling surfaces in rooms where candles are burnt.

    Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 4:32AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
Home library is musty smelling
I have a wall, floor to ceiling, of built in bookshelves...
liseebird
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
nylon jacket stains
Hi, I have a cute green nylon jacket that has normal...
mimilm
cleaning a burnt-on material from gas fireplace glass
Help! Something ( material unknown) burnt onto the...
clancyspad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™