Help fixing yellow spot on rug.

jeanskitchenDecember 18, 2004

Please post suggestions. I turned a small dog urine accident into a big yellow spot on my mostly white wool oriental rug by using the wrong cleaning solution. Does anyone have any suggestions for removing the yellow stain made from the wrong cleaner. Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

No idea what cleanser you used to stain the carpet....but the first line of defense is water...soak that spot and blot and blot with paper towel....place a dry towel over the spot and step on it....put dry paper down and repeat until the paper stays dry when you step on it.
Then try to figure out what the yellow stain is.
Linda C

Bookmark   December 19, 2004 at 10:06AM
lazy_gardens

Take it to a PROFESSIONAL cleaner who specializes in Oriental rugs. Take the bottle of whatever you used with you and let them know you used it.

Bookmark   December 19, 2004 at 10:40AM
jeanskitchen

I used oxiclean which should not be used for wool. I believe that that is what has caused the permanent stain.

Bookmark   December 19, 2004 at 11:03AM
lindac

Oxiclean shouldn't hurt the wool at all....
Did you blot all the urine up before you used the oxyclean?....if not....wet the spot and blot blot blot....
Another possibiklity, if it is an antique Oriental, made before 1940, it may be vegetable dye and it may have run...the colors bled.
Try wetting it with water and blotting....water can't hurt a wool rug. If it is a newer rug....and especially if it is a machine made rug water certainly won't hurt it.
Linda C

Bookmark   December 19, 2004 at 6:45PM
jeanskitchen

I will try the water, water, water approach. The rug is not old and not hand done. I am afraid that the wool had turned yellow as there is nothing that comes off anymore when I blot. I will try again and let you know.

Bookmark   December 19, 2004 at 7:53PM
smom40

I'd take it to a professional at this point.

Bookmark   December 29, 2004 at 12:24PM
cupajoe

I read somewhere that urine and vomit contain acids.In order to keep them from eating the carpet ,they need to be dealt with immediately.First line of defense is to blot.The second is to neutralize with either a solution of ammonia and water(ammonia changes the chemical in the urine or vomit so that it stops eating the carpet )or a cleaner made for pet mistakes that contains something to neutralize the acids.Sometimes if too much time elapses between an accident and the cleanup,the carpet won't lose the stain.Good luck.

Bookmark   December 30, 2004 at 8:07PM
More Discussions
hard water marks on glasses
Can anyone tell me how to clean hard water marks from...
MIStepMom
Using same vacuum for outside lanai and off white carpet???????
I have one vacuum. It is a Shark Robot. I need to...
mizsusan
ink marks
How to remove ink (lines from a pen) on a sofa? Also,...
kathyg_in_mi
Getting Cigarette Smoke Out of Clothes
My daughter's friend gave her a lot of clothes. Friend...
monicakm_gw
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™