Ammonia for cleaning shower doors?

karen_tennesseeDecember 3, 2009

I am in desperate mode. I need to clean my shower doors. I have read a previous thread that gave a number of suggestions; however I also read on the internet that ammoia can be used. Is there a reason not to try ammonia?

Will it harm the metal?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Ammonia will work.....but closing yourself in the shower to clean the inside of the doors with ammonia will make you cough and choke.
Try a paste of washing soda....or perhaps white vinegar....but that will also make you choke.
Linda c

Bookmark   December 3, 2009 at 9:34PM
jannie

I agree, using straight ammonia without ventilation will be terrible-the fumes will drive you out of there, very irritating to the eyes and lungs. Don't do it! . Try another method.

Bookmark   December 4, 2009 at 8:07AM
graywings123

I agree with the others. I don't mind pulling out powerful cleaners when needed, but straight ammonia is not going to work as well as other products or combinations of products and the fumes will kill you.

I don't know what you have tried, but I would start with Comet Bathroom Cleaner with Disinfectant, which comes in a spray bottle. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS about letting it stand for 10 minutes before wiping.

While you are out buying the Comet Spray, look around for a bottle of Lemon Oil sold for furniture. Holloway House makes a cheap version. Rub a little of that on the metal and the door and it will give a bit of a shine and remove the water spots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Comet Spray

Bookmark   December 4, 2009 at 8:55AM
groomingal

I clean for someone with glass shower doors and after I clean with a basic bathroom cleaner- rinse- and wipe them down with a cheap fabric softener sheet.

Ammonia is strong I would make it a last resort.

Bookmark   December 5, 2009 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
Can you steam clean procelain tiles?
I would like to steam clean the procelain tiles in...
bryce5
How do you clean your oven racks?
I just ran the self-cleaning feature on my Gaggenau...
kawfeeaddict
Mold/ Mildew out of clothing, Can it be done?
I have a pink and a blue shirt that were not unpacked...
saphire
Jetted Tub Cleaning - I'm at my end point!
Hello everyone, I know this subject has been posted...
Auroras_Envy
Removing Stains Caused by Stain Removers - Carpet
Hi all, What's the best way to remove stains on a Sofa,...
afrolawnmower
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™