Glassless Shower Half Wall

emilykfrankMay 8, 2013

I am redoing my master shower. I'd like to do away with the glass completely. How tall should my half wall ideally be in order to have some privacy for, well, privates, as well as maintain openness and splash protection? It will surround the shower on three sides, with the exception of 25" for the doorway.
The shower is 4'x5' and we're placing a freestanding tub in front of it. The back wall (where the faucet arises) is an 8 foot of tall wall of horizontal linear tile.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

For splash control it depends mostly on the size of the shower and how much of the floor can get wet (meaning how much of the bathroom floor is waterproofed like a shower pan). I was just in a renovation where there were no shower walls at all except the back. This doesn't address the privacy issue at all, but it was large enough that splashing wasn't an issue.

In other words, if your shower area is 36" square, the wall will need to be higher than if the shower area is 60" square for splashing.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 6:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dekeoboe

It depends on exactly where your shower head will be and what type it will be. Our shower is also 4x5. Our half wall is just under 5ft. We have a hand shower on a bar that is on the 4 ft wall about 6-8 inches from the corner. That is the shower head I use. Since it is near the corner, most of the splashes are under 5 ft.

My husband uses the rain shower head that is on an arm centered on the 4 ft wall. I believe his splashes are lower.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
Help locating a Powder Bath sink, please!
We are in the final days of a year long remodel only...
soonermagicmama
Stop Frameless Shower from Slamming Shut?
Just completed a renovation of our master suite and...
ntrainer
Air Tubs: Bain Ultra vs Oceania??
We have researched a number of "air tubs"...
d_dub
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™