Cigarette smoke out of leather

kevabearDecember 23, 2012

I recently received a leather jacket that had belonged to a dear friend of mine who we lost a couple years ago. It means the world to me. However, it reaks of cigarette smoke. I could actually smell it before I opened the box. If anyone could offer any suggestions on how to get rid of the smell I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jannie

This could be tough. I am convinced there are oils in cigarette smoke which can permeate just about anything. My mom was a heavy smoker. After her death, everything fabric in her home had to be thrown away. Walls had to be painted with Kilz, a special primer-type paint that is also a sealer. As for leather, you could try wiping with a cloth dipped in vinegar, then let it air-dry as long as possible, perhaps in an empty room or enclosed porch. If you get a suuny dry day, hang it outdoors. Good luck.

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 8:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kevabear

Thank you for that suggestion. I will do that. We have a big screened in porch that I can hang it out in, and put where the sun can shine on it. I have read about using Lysol, preferrebly the fresh linen scent. Someone also talked about putting it in a big bag with baking soda. Maybe with a combonation of the suggestions I will be able to wear it at some point. It's cold out now, wish I could wear it.

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 7:59PM
More Discussions
Stained SST Pan
Burned/scorched SST pan. Got 90% clean but has dark...
stoveguyy
Grout
An electric toothbrush and Listerine + clean grout....
jak4
Sink Scratches
My white (porcelain?) sink gets silvery scratch marks...
jinnufr
vacuuming problem
I have fairly new bedroom carpeting and my Hoover vacuum...
eviemp
Cat Urine in Carpet
What is the best product and method for removing cat...
kwie2011
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™