Won a Miele S7 Tango Vacuum - What Would You Do?

robjDecember 9, 2010

We entered a drawing at our local appliance shop when we purchased our gas range.

We got a call yesterday that we had won a Miele vacuum cleaner. When I picked it up, the salesman said it was worth about $500. I went home and googled it and found that they actually retail for $850! We also got a year's worth of bags in the deal. Our 5 year old Kenmore has issues and needs repair or replacement (again!). Needless to say, we were delighted.

Now comes the rub - Uprights are really best on carpet. We have hardwood throughout the house with just a couple of area rugs. We'd be much better served with a canister.

I'm thinking of eBaying the S7 and purchasing a Miele canister (likely the Callisto) with the cash.

Does this make sense or is the Titan good for hardwood floors as well?

Please help us decide.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robj

Make that: is the Tango good for hardwood floors too?

Bookmark   December 9, 2010 at 11:38AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

I don't have any experience with either vacuum, but found some good info on the Tango at the link below...so you 'may' want to keep it.

Congratulations on being a winner!

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: s7 Tango info

Bookmark   December 9, 2010 at 2:20PM
robj

Hey thanks.

I almost feel like running out and buying a lottery ticket.

We're definitely leaning toward selling it and buying a Miele canister.

Bookmark   December 9, 2010 at 3:35PM
livebetter

I own the S7 Marin (Swing in the US). Love it for broadloom and various jobs using the wand.

My main floor is all hardwood and area carpets. While I have used the S7 on the carpets, if I didn't have broadloom upstairs I would absolutely get a canister (I probably will get one too someday).

I have used it twice to vacuum hard surface (ie. hardwood, tile) and didn't love it. I use my central vac for those jobs still (although I hate lugging my 35' hose around).

Congrats but I say sell it and get a canister. I'd go for an S5 model over the Titan.

Bookmark   December 9, 2010 at 11:18PM
geguymw

The Miele upright would do okay on floors, as well as carpeting. But you have to ask yourself, "Do I really want to push this heavy machine across the floor, when I could have a canister and push a very lightweight wand, with floor brush?"

Pushing that floor brush across the floor is so easy to do. It can get inbetween furniture and under some furniture without difficulty.

If you have some carpeting, then I would add a power nozzle to the canister.

An upright, with onboard tools, is better suited if you have quite a bit of carpeting to vacuum, with some floors and above the floor cleaning added.

Bookmark   December 13, 2010 at 1:59PM
westvillager

Ugh, the S7 was just too heavy and difficult to get into corners (even under some furniture). Unless it's wall-to-wall carpet, in which case it's a great machine, I'd sell it and get a canister. I haven't looked back since!

Bookmark   December 16, 2010 at 4:34PM
vzcasey_gmail_com

All I can say is if you want to get rid of it, I'll take it. Are you selling it for a good price? Let me know. Personally, from what I have seen on this vacuum it is good for any type of surface floor. Excellent vacuum.

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 10:28PM
robj

Thanks anyway. We already sold it and bought a Miele S5 canister. Also an excllent machine.

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 5:52AM
More Discussions
Household Gecko Control
We live on the 12th floor of a large apt building....
aiea_nana
Getting urine smell out
How do I get the urine smell out of clothes or sheets...
michie1
Best hardwood floor cleaner?
Our floors just got finished 2 months ago and I hate...
lmrinc_gw
help between these two spin mops
Which is better http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Indoor-Living/Home-Commercial-Cleaning/Floor-Care/Mops/Wet/Spinning-Mop-and-Bucket/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I4540847?Ntt=spin+mop Or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/for-living-spin-mop-and-bucket-0428442p.html#.VO5Y1DhOnHw...
wantboost
How to clean sliding window and door tracks?
How do you clean sliding window and sliding door tracks? When...
chezron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™