Designer

DoubleOhHoyaApril 29, 2012

We are about to break ground and need to find a designer. We already fired our last one, who was recommended by our builder. We found one on our own that seems fantastic, but she's probably about 2x as much as another that was recommended by our builder, who are are not that impressed with. My sense is that a good designer is very much worthwhile. Based on those that have been through this process, is it worth spending extra cash for someone that's very good.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lori_inthenw_gw

Someone is who is good might also be more efficient at zeroing in on your preferences and coming up with the right solutions, so the hourly rate doesn't tell the whole story!

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 8:17PM
lzerarc

a designer for what exactly? Interior items?

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 8:24PM
DoubleOhHoya

designer for everything - tile selection, fixtures, colors, etc.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 8:28PM
nini804

I think it depends on how much help you need...how decisive you are and how much you want to do yourself. I had worked with a fantastic designer before in my previous house, but in our new build I had done soooo much pre-planning and research that I really just needed someone to bounce ideas off. She was great for stuff like how high I should hang the light fixtures and had great rules of thumb for how many different finishes to ha in the room, etc...but the over-all look was all me. If I hadn't been so sure of what I was doing, I probably would have hired my own, rather than use our builder's ID. As it was...it worked out well and saved money.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
Master Bath revisions
Which revision do you like better? There can only be...
edwardshome
Would love some feedback on the schematic design of our home
My wife and I are first time builders and would love...
Shane Sherman
Beam in ceiling to divide kitchen and breakfast???
Yes. I know this kitchen breakfast room layout is odd....
Bridget Helm
Well Water
For those of you with well water only. What systems...
Renee0829
2 car vs 3 car attached garage price
We are in the beginning stages of trying to figure...
dotydreamhome
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™