Cleaning a glass stove top

pkj1950December 28, 2011

Over the holidays I was cooking fruit for a family favorite cobbler......this fruit juice w/dissolved sugar boiled over on my glass top stove. I cleaned it teh best I could with what time I had. Now there is a brown burnt on stain everywhere the boil over touched. Any suggestions on getting this off? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mydreamhome

Have you tried a glass surface stove cleaner or something like Softscrub? What about a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Kitchen Scrubber? DM swears by Ammonia for just about any sticky hard to remove spillage. Of course, with a glass top, you can always try a razor/scrape blade--gently scrape the spillage off the glass and follow up with the stove cleaner or soft scrub. That's the fastest way, but definitely check to make sure it doesn't void your warranty. Good luck!

Bookmark   December 28, 2011 at 1:11PM
krissie55

Unfortunately "hot sugar" will etch the glass. This may be the problem with your stove top if it was not cleaned off immediately after splattering onto the glass top.

Best to always clean spills/splatters off immediately, don't wait until food has finished cooking.

Bookmark   December 29, 2011 at 10:52AM
flicka001

Here is what I do when something burns on the cooktop. This might sound like a Cerama Bryte commercial, but I find this stuff really works. I put a little Cerama Bryte cleaner on the spill first and let it sit; this usually softens things up a bit. Next, I use the Cerama Bryte scraper (which is just a razor blade in a plastic holder ... you could just buy a cheap razor blade holder instead) to scrape off what has burnt on. Finally I use the yellow scrubpad to scrub any remaining residue off.

I've always worried about etching the cooktop with burnt sugar, but I have boiled over sugary stuff that has burnt on and I've been able to get it off without a problem. The razor blade with cleaner seems to do the trick.

Bookmark   December 31, 2011 at 12:49PM
littlebug5

Barkeeper's Friend is the best. Just sprinkle it on the stains (it's like Comet) and scrub with a wet paper towel. A little elbow grease takes care of it.

Bookmark   January 1, 2012 at 9:17PM
LilFlowers MJLN

I use the same thing as Flicka and am in total agreement. I have boiled over some gumbo which is roux and had no problem cleaning it up. I've also boiled over some baked beans which I add brown sugar and had no problem cleaning it up. It just took a little elbow grease.

Bookmark   January 6, 2012 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
shower doors nightmare
Hello there. My boyfriend is about to sell his house,...
vacuumfreak
How to Clean a Disgusting Plastic Shower Floor
I have purchased a property that has what I believer...
lgal63
How do you clean your oven racks?
I just ran the self-cleaning feature on my Gaggenau...
kawfeeaddict
Need Suggestions: How Do I Get Smell Out Of Pet Bed?
Not sure where to post this. Needs suggestions. Got...
peabody1
Mold/ Mildew out of clothing, Can it be done?
I have a pink and a blue shirt that were not unpacked...
saphire
Sponsored Products
LZF | Chou Table Lamp - Tall
$890.00 | YLighting
Sunpentown SS-301 Multi Cooker Shabu-Shabu & Grill - SS-301
$42.69 | Hayneedle
Strata Polished Chrome 10-Inch Three Light Chandelier
$456.00 | Bellacor
Kenroy Home Wall Mounted Pembrooke Extra Large Lantern 70287SL
Home Depot
Toledo Linear Suspension by Troy Lighting
$720.00 | Lumens
Pastel Akasha Rectangular Glass Top Dining Table in Stainless Steel & Wenge Vene
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™