Bathroom Demo

NYgirlLisaMay 1, 2014

Hello,

We are looking into remodeling our master bathroom - removing the tub completely and extending the shower.

The contractor I spoke with today told me I don't need to completely demo the entire room and that he could even lay new tile on the existing. Is this a good idea? Is it best to completely gut the entire room?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jewelisfabulous

Find a new contractor. You may not have to gut the entire room down to the studs (we didn't), but you certainly don't want someone willing to lay new tile over the top of existing. The old needs to come up, a proper underlayment laid, waterproofing (if necessary), leveled (if needed), and new tile put down. Eeeek!

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 5:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ineffablespace

I think this really depends. If the original floor is a solid mortar bed and there is no cracking of the existing tile, this is routinely done. It makes the floor thicker, an issue at the doorway, and it makes it that much heavier, but it isn't always wrong. The shower floor and walls are a different story since it sounds like it is changing in size and it would probably be best to start that area from the studs or subfloor up.

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 5:35PM
More Discussions
Kerdi Shower Part Deux
Here's Part Deux. The original Kerdi Shower thread...
mongoct
Does anyone have a partial glass partition for their shower?
I've seen quite a few photos of new showers with just...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
What is really new in bathroom renovating?
Although I'm more a retro/classic kind of person, I'm...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Another shower size questions
I am converting an alcove tub (60x30) to a shower....
cataan
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™